• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to buy new stock style front seats. 1971 2002

Andrewp

When you say "style" do you mean the upholstery pattern, or do you currently have seats either from another model (E21, E30) or aftermarket (Recaro, etc).  If the latter, you're gonna have to find someone with some used seats to buy, and either use as is or recover.

If you have the OEM seats just with the wrong upholstery, AFAIK no one makes pre-made kits for roundies.  Looks like your car is Colorado so the original seats would be black--it'll be easier to find material that's close to the "waffle" pattern center sections and smooth bolsters in black than the other interior colors, and then have a local upholstery shop make new covers (and probably re-stuff) your existing seats.

If your back seat is original, that'll tell you exactly what pattern upholstery was used in front.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 4/7/2023 at 11:00 AM, esty said:

i have a few set of OE seats, if you don't find what you want send me a picture of the seat you want and i'll see if i have them

I sent you an email, not sure if it went through or not.

Why do you say you don't have original seats? Those look correct for a late '71, though I don't recall exactly when the changeover from chrome to black textured hinges occurred.

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

2 hours ago, dlhoovler said:

Why do you say you don't have original seats? Those look correct for a late '71, though I don't recall exactly when the changeover from chrome to black textured hinges occurred.

I bought this car on BaT.

The seller stated he replaced the seats. There was quite the discussion on the hinges  as well.

1971_bmw_2002_15538867637f37daced2aScree
BRINGATRAILER.COM

Bid for the chance to own a 1971 BMW 2002 at auction with Bring a Trailer, the home of the best vintage and classic cars online. Lot #17,708.

The photos of the seats in the BAT listing are neither extensive nor of high resolution.

But my gut reaction is that the rear seat appears to remain original. The vinyl used from March 1966 until very late in 1971 had flat-bottomed “valleys” to the heat-seamed pleats, with a single row of molded-plastic “faux stitching” in each valley. The first photo below shows typical early-style molded vinyl.

The front seats, on the other hand, appear to have the late-style molded vinyl, employed from late 1971 through August 1973. The second photo below shows typical late-style molded vinyl. The molded pattern “flows” through the heat seams. But the front seats also appear to have tubular-style headrests and 10 mm. headrest supports, which would date them to before late January 1973. Check the diameter of the headrest supports to confirm or deny. In very late January 1973, the headrest supports increased in diameter to 12 mm. and the headrests became “eared”.

The frames of the late 1971 through January 1973 seats are essentially identical to the frames used from mid-1969 through late 1971, except for a single feature: black-painted recliners replaced chromed recliners during the 1972 model year on U.S.-spec cars (but probably during the 1971 model year on Euro-spec cars). U.S.-spec tii’s used chrome recliners until the end of the 1972 model year.

You will, however, find it well nigh impossible to source good molded vinyl as was used up until late 1971 (again, first photo below). Finding good used early-style molded vinyl — that remains pliable — while theoretically possible, will require great patience.

I’ve restored both 1972 and 1976 front seats with used period molded vinyl (third and fourth photos below, respectively). Finding still-pliable late-style and square-taillight vinyl took years and lots of fruitless purchases. I don’t know if I could have succeeded if I were looking for the early-style vinyl! And making new covers, re-using period vinyl, is strictly custom and expensive. The makers of high-quality ready-made seat covers, e.g., GAHH and World Upholstery, utilize molded vinyls much closer in style to the late-style vinyl (again, second photo below).

Coming up with a set of chrome-plated recliners, the other item marking your seats as “later than 1971”, will be much easier than solving the early-style vinyl issue!

So give some thought about how accurate you’d like your restoration to be: early-style molded vinyl can be a real challenge!

If you wanted a more 1971 appearance than you have today, without going crazy, a set of chrome recliners and GAHH seat covers (and gummihaar seat pads) would probably fool 97% of the car’s viewers!

Regards,

Steve

732368C4-8B5F-41BF-BA00-F5AF46DA0A20.jpeg

619694A6-449C-4217-87BB-A347838E5B59.jpeg

0993F2C0-307E-4D3F-A8DC-29D604882CEE.jpeg

C2D778B8-1349-425E-B2BB-6935162A6F01.jpeg

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

22 hours ago, Conserv said:

The photos of the seats in the BAT listing are neither extensive nor detailed.

But my gut reaction is that the rear seat remains original. The vinyl used from March 1966 until very late in 1971 had flat-bottomed “valleys” to the heat-seamed pleats, with a single row of molded-plastic faux “stitching” in each valley. The first photo below shows typical early-style molded vinyl.

The front seats appear to have the late-style molded vinyl, employed from late 1971 through August 1973. The second photo below shows typical late-style molded vinyl. But the front seats also appear to have tubular-style headrests and 10 mm. headrest supports, which would date them to before late January 1973. Check the diameter of the headrest supports to confirm or deny. In very late January 1973, the headrest supports increased in diameter to 12 mm. and the headrests became “eared”.

The frames of these late 1971 through January 1973 seats are essentially identical to the frames used from mid-1969 through late 1971, except for a single feature: black-painted recliners replaced chromed recliners during the 1972 model year on U.S.-spec cars (but probably during the 1971 model year on Euro-spec cars). U.S.-spec tii’s used chrome recliners until the end of the 1972 model year.

You will, however, find it will nigh impossible to source molded vinyl as used up until late 1971 (again, first photo below). Finding good used early-style molded vinyl — that remains pliable — while theoretically possible, may require great patience.

I’ve restored both 1972 and 1976 front seats with used period molded vinyl (third and fourth photos below, respectively). Finding still-pliable late-style and square-taillight vinyl took years and lots of fruitless purchases. I don’t know if I could have succeeded if I were looking for the early-style vinyl! And making new covers, re-using period vinyl, is strictly custom and expensive. The makers of high-quality ready-made seat covers, e.g., GAHH and World Upholstery, utilize molded vinyls much closer to the late-style vinyl (again, second photo below).

Coming up with a set of chrome-plated recliners, the other item marking your seats as “later than 1971”, will be much easier than solving the early-style vinyl issue!

So give some thought about how accurate you’d like your restoration to be: early-style molded vinyl can be a real challenge!

If you wanted a more 1971 appearance than you have today, without going crazy, a set of chrome recliners and GAHH seat covers (and gummihaar seat pads) would probably fool 97% of the car’s viewers!

Regards,

Steve

732368C4-8B5F-41BF-BA00-F5AF46DA0A20.jpeg

619694A6-449C-4217-87BB-A347838E5B59.jpeg

0993F2C0-307E-4D3F-A8DC-29D604882CEE.jpeg

C2D778B8-1349-425E-B2BB-6935162A6F01.jpeg

Great reply, thanks. A lot of good information. I'll probably opt for "fool 97% of the viewers" choice.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...