• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Metric Mechanic status?

Gordon

Metric Mechanic voicemail is full, they are not answering phone calls, emails, or messages left on their website.  Anyone have knowledge of their current status? I'm hoping that they are on spring break vacation.

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

That seems to be the way MM operates.  Jim called me on a Sunday evening about a month after I sent an inquiry.  You might get a response by MidAmerica02fest time.

While there take a half day and drive to their shop from Eureka Springs on your way home, nice drive thru Missouri.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I was looking at their Turbo engines on the website.  Again contemplating buy vs build.  Pretty cool that they lower the rings to keep them away from the heat and the oil squirters I imagine are really trick.  I wonder if they source the reproduction S14-style stroker cranks, I expect that they would.  

But I really have no patience for poor customer service.  If they had one on the shelf I think I would be very tempted to break the piggy bank, fly down and drive it home.  I just don't have the cycles to call and call and call and wait and hope. $25k is a lot of money to spend in one chunk. My expectation is that when I call, they would pick up. 

Maybe Patrick? 

Regards

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Pretty cool that they lower the rings to keep them away from the heat

...which is berzactly the opposite of what everyone else* does in order to

keep the wrist pin as high in the piston as possible and use as long a rod

as possible...

Ah, M-M;  I'm not saying their stuff doesn't work, just that they don't

follow the crowd.

t

*Smokey Yunik

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, TobyB said:

...which is berzactly the opposite of what everyone else* does in order to

keep the wrist pin as high in the piston as possible and use as long a rod

as possible...

Ah, M-M;  I'm not saying their stuff doesn't work, just that they don't

follow the crowd.

t

*Smokey Yunik

Which is exactly the path Jim is following with a new piston/rod design

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

43 minutes ago, gwb72tii said:

Which is exactly the path Jim is following with a new piston/rod design

Which has been done not a few times… (that said, Jim does a good job at sourcing components from other engines / makes and combing them to fit his new applications … (says the guy bulding an M10 stroker using long Honda rods)). -KB

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, gwb72tii said:

Haha

Jim, for his new design, isn’t sourcing parts, they are manufacturing their own pistons. 

Care to clarify?

Has Jim specified and having cast pistons made? Casting himself, or is he dong final machining?

Are we talking forged pistons? If forged, has he tooled-up at his shop to CNC pistons from a raw forging? Is he making the forging, too? 2618 or 4032 or ???? alloy?

Or, perhaps he specified his own piston design, and is then having one of the piston companies machine them? 

machining the pistons form billet steel to his own design, completely in house.

His design is essentially what toby mentioned above, longer rods (titanium) and machined pistons with the wrist pin as high up as possible. Underside of the piston is ribbed for strength, shorter skirts than a typical cast piston, significant weight savings over stock design

Edited by gwb72tii

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”

3 hours ago, gwb72tii said:

machining the pistons form billet steel to his own design, completely in house.

His design is essentially what toby mentioned above, longer rods (titanium) and machined pistons with the wrist pin as high up as possible. Underside of the piston is ribbed for strength, shorter skirts than a typical cast piston, significant weight savings over stock design

Steel pistons would be some outside the box thinking. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

now that is what I remember Jim telling me, while I was working and not paying full attention

it would perhaps make more sense that they are machined out of aluminum.

so don't quote me

they are in fact though machining their own pistons to their own design, using titanium rods of their own design, and the  pistons are not cast

Edited by gwb72tii
  • Like 1

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”