• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

240 5 speed in an ‘02, is there a bolt in solution?

tjones02

I’ve got an acquaintance who bought a 2002 with a poorly installed ‘83 320i 240 two piece 5 speed. Is anyone making a bolt in kit for the trans crossmember and shift linkage?

Tom Jones

BMW wrench for 30 years, BMWCCA since 1984 at age 9
66 BMW16oo stored, 67 1600-2 lifelong project, 2 more 67-8 1600s, 86 528e 5sp 586k, 91 318i
Mom&Dad's, 65 1800TiSA, 70 2800, 72 2002Tii 2760007 orig owners, 15 Z4 N20

Does this "kit" have to contain both the cross member and shift tower together? Otherwise the rank and file bolt in cross member typically found from Roger's, Blunt, Ireland, and ebay  will work for the 2-peice case. It's a singular rubber mounting contact point out back.  Shucks man one could even liberate the factory tabs, reweld in position and modify the cross member.  As for the shift tower, well you got's ta man up bust out the welder.  

• Like 1

But what do I know

12 hours ago, tjones02 said:

Is anyone making a bolt in kit for the trans crossmember and shift linkage?

Not to my knowledge.

The 83 E21 240 trans probably has a single rear mount tab which as mentioned, should work with a standard bolt in 245 mount kit or relocated stock mount.

After 83 (84-85 E30) it gets more complicated due to the dual rear mount tabs.

As far as the shifter goes...Whats available from vendors appears to be 245 stuff adapted to the 240 with varying degrees of success. None of which IMHO, works as well as a shortened E21 shift platform and a lengthened stock shift rod.

Hasn't been enough demand to merit purpose designed stuff to fit the "bastard son 240"😉 

IMG_3457.JPG

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Were that my adjustable shift rod (pictured below) besides what look like set screws to hold the rod at its chosen length, I'd thread a couple of jam nuts on each end of the threaded section, secured with Locktite.  That way if a set screw works loose you still have a proper length shift rod.

mike

image.png.a6f0745cc655c884b65a2c4eddcaa6de.png

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, Mike Self said:

Were that my adjustable shift rod (pictured below) besides what look like set screws to hold the rod at its chosen length

Not set screws, holes to spot weld.😶

I abandoned the adjustable plan as too complex and unnecessary.

IMG_2027 2.JPG

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris