• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driver side window misaligned

berjkara

My 74 is having a crooked window misalignment, and i’m getting a whistling and water leak when the window is closed as well. I have to use a lot of force to roll the window down when the door is closed, so is there any way I can fix this? In the picture, you can see the glass is crooked in relation to the door seal. Can the regulator be adjusted? Thanks. IMG_7943.thumb.jpeg.c18aa8ba778b6b3c38ffc67fc98d9d2c.jpeg

I just went through this on my '73 and did a column about it; PM me if you'd like a copy.  

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Your window guide piece may be failing due to rust.  This is the metal rail that is on the bottom of the door glass and it has a slot for the regulator. Water accumulation can rust the rail and cause it to fail.  Been there, replaced all of them on both of my cars. Picture added of one side.

74BBA26A-CFD7-4108-A83A-961166343D4A.jpeg

Edited by jgerock
  • Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

On 3/14/2023 at 2:24 PM, berjkara said:

I have to use a lot of force to roll the window down when the door is closed,

1. once you get inside the door, loosen the top window stops on both the wheeled front carrier and rear sliding carrier

2. since difficult only when closed i would focus on the two brackets at bottom of door with the two 10mm bolts. each bracket is adjustable in two dimensions and move the guide rail bottom end fore and aft of door as well as toward inner and outer door sheet metal. the fore and aft adjustment will raise and lower the height of the window edge that is over that rail: i think goes more forward on rear bracket to raise rear edge of window, and more aft on front bracket to raise front edge of window.

3. move bracket toward inner door sheet metal to reduce pressure against door seal rubber, which can effect door fitment and window travel resistance when door is closed. in your case, id move front guide  bracket 1/4” toward inner sheet metal. if no easier to roll window with door closed, put front bracket back where it was and move rear in same manner. if still no better, try moving both toward inner sheet metal.

4. moving only one bracket fore and aft impacts parallelism between the two guide rails. if guide rails go too far out of parallel, window travel can become difficult near top or bottom where the rails became too close to each other. the window can also rock fore and aft along its travel. window rocking can be corrected by adjusting wheeled carrier on front guide with its two 10mm bolts. 

5. parallelism as well as window edge height is also addressed with the 10mm bolts setting top guide rail fore and aft position. in your case, the rear top bolt may need to move 1/4” forward to raise the rear window edge. so assuming your guides are currently parallel, you should move both the rear bottom guide bracket and top rear bolt forward a bit.

6. tighten the stops on the carriers where they will contact the stops on the inner door sheet metal at top of window travel. 

figure on round robin 1/4” incremental adjustment of at least the bottom brackets, the wheeled carrier and the rear to guide bolt.

Edited by Howardpowered
  • Like 1