• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATED: BRISTOL 68 1600-2 Brake parts- Where to find them?

1965GTFB

18 hours ago, Mikesmalaga72 said:

Hey there you might find what you need here....

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/brakes/bmw-1502-2002-turbo/catalog-picture-34-01.html 

or inquire with https://pmbperformance.com/

I just had a reply back from WALLOTHNESCH.COM after I inquired about the pistons on their site that I was checking on after a reply to my thread suggested I check with them.  In my inquiry to WALLOTHNESCH.COM I gave them the specs on my pistons and their reply was that those are rear caliper pistons.(??????).  they came out of the calipers that are on the front of the car.

My inquiry to them with my piston specs was: 

Looking for correct caliper piston for 1968 1600-02 with single line 2 piston calipers. Can I get specs/measurements for your parts numbered: A34111103922 and A34111321341 Or please tell me if either of those pistons you offer are correct for my application. The pistons I am replacing measure: - OD 1.650"/41.91mm - Total Height including ridge/lip at top 1.146"/29.1084mm - OD of ridge/lip at top 1.422"/36.1188mm Thank You

Their reply was:

thank you for your enquiry.

Maybe there is a misunderstanding.

The front brake calipers have a piston diameter of 48 mm.

The dimensions of your piston is for a rear brake caliper:

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/piston-for-rear-caliper-fits-for-all-models-and-years-of-manufacturing-you-need-4-for-1-car-34-05-00.html

Best regards

That created more questions for me to post here.

If you can measure the pistons you have that would be great.

Is it even possible to mount rear calipers on the front?

I bought the car from the 2nd owner who bought it in '69 from the original owner.  He did say that it was serviced by a shop in Sacramento while his son had it at college and he was not that fond of their work.  He parked the car, until I bought it, for 25+ years after the son graduated and returned home.  If Walloth is correct could that shop have put rear calipers on the front?

I'll put another pic of mine here for the experts to look at.

Could these be rear calipers that I assume must be from a different application because I assume a '68 1600-2 would not have had rear disc as an option.

Could there be a rear caliper off another application that happens to use the same size piston as a '68 1600-2 front caliper?

All of the calipers on the W site seem to have the hose attaching at the side of the caliper not on the end like mine.

Thoughts/info anyone.

IMG_3539.JPG

IMG_3547.JPG

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1965GTFB said:

Could these be rear calipers that I assume must be from a different application because I assume a '68 1600-2 would not have had rear disc as an option.

That is a valid assumption, a 68 1600-2 would have rear drum brakes (200mm).  VW calipers in the rear were a popular rear disc brake upgrade.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Perhaps there might have been a translation issue...There was only one version of 2 piston caliper for the 1600-2 or 1602 up to vin 1563810 up to figurative "end" of 1968, and one for the 1502 euro only car type caliper up to 1977. There were no rear disc brakes throughout all TYP 114 and 2002 through turbo series cars. Looking closely their 922 piston it appears quite a bit larger than the 1502 piston displayed on their site page and appears suitable to their identical calipers to yours depicted for the fitment for a 1602

Do you have the rebuild kits lip seals and dust boot etc? Heck the price seems pretty right for those plated new calipers tho if you go there. 

Also: Suggest sending out the remote booster for testing and or rebuild.

https://www.wallothnesch.com/en/brakes/bmw-1502-2002-turbo/catalog-picture-34-01.html

Edited by Mikesmalaga72
add

1 hour ago, Mikesmalaga72 said:

Looking closely their 922 piston it appears quite a bit larger than the 1502 piston displayed on their site page and appears suitable to their identical calipers to yours depicted for the fitment for a 1602

Do you have the rebuild kits lip seals and dust boot etc? Heck the price seems pretty right for those plated new calipers tho if you go there. 

Also: Suggest sending out the remote booster for testing and or rebuild.

I do have a seal kit on the way.  We'll see if it's correct for my pistons (for 2 reasons), it's from Rockauto and the possible piston size difference according to W.

On the W site I figured out which piston is the 922 but not sure what the other one you were referring to is.  Also, do not see a caliper caliper identical to mine with the hose mounting location being the difference.  Throw some part #s at me if you can.

Is there a site that I can plug my vin into to get a build date?

Thanks

• Like 1

You can use the realoem.com site and choose sedan . They may have revised the hose input location...Which would be a good question for W/N. Part names are translated on the right page for the given part number. It appears there were two sets of part numbers for the complete calipers may have been revised during production.

Here are the old part numbers from the original BMW parts orange book as of 1974

image.thumb.jpeg.9b2c7dc1a11f2bb8e2f25003e3cbe049.jpeg 

Edited by Mikesmalaga72
add
  • Like 1

• 1965GTFB changed the title to UPDATED Brake Parts for 1968 1600-2 - Where to find them?
On 3/9/2023 at 5:06 PM, 1965GTFB said:

Maybe only a 1600-2 savant would know this but, is there any chance that BMW put these very small calipers on the very early cars then for better braking power made a running change to the 48mm piston …

Not a 1600-2 savant, but… yes, theoretically! The 1600-2 was introduced in March 1966 and there were lots of running changes made in the early years that are not memorialized in the parts catalogue.

I would, however, be curious whether BMW was manufacturing or using a rear caliper in December 1967 — since neither 1968 ‘02’s nor NK’s had rear calipers at that time. What about the 2000CS? And your car was manufactured in December 1967. Assuming BMW was manufacturing a rear caliper with 42 mm. pistons in December 1967 — there must be other early 1600-2 owners out there with 42 mm. pistons. We’ve not heard enough yet!

I guesstimated December 14, 1967 as your car’s build date, based on a few examples around it. But you can get the actual build date by emailing BMW Group Archives with the VIN and requesting their data on the car. Their email address is:

hdz.info@bmwgroup.com

Please share the date with the forum so we can update the Registry entry, which currently looks like:

I’m not certain we’ve yet got an answer as to whether your car’s calipers are original.

Separately, my parents ordered a new 1968 Mercury Cougar in spring 1968. The car arrived in July 1968, with a 289 engine, not the spec’d 302. The dealer explained that there was some supply issue with 302 engines and the no-longer-in-service 289 was being substituted by the factory. I’ve often wondered if the parts books captured this late-year change? And I can well picture some modern-day collector erroneously concluding the 289 must be a post-factory swap… 😯

If you want more eyes on this thread, change the title to “BRISTOL 1968 1600-2: Caliper Question”. Bristol is smoking hot these days… 👍😉

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

• 1965GTFB changed the title to UPDATED: BRISTOL 68 1600-2 Brake parts- Where to find them?
Also received some info through a caliper rebuilder and Jim that if they are rears they could be from an E12/5 series/Bavaria
Additional spec info is on mine the holes for the caliper mounting bolts are approx. 3"/76.2mm apart.

Mustang: My first car was a '68 coupe with the J Code 304 4v that my older sister bought new.  In '74 she was getting married and her fiancée convinced her to sell me (I was a JR in HS) and buy some thing more economical (gas crisis).  She bought a Chevy Vega and sold me the Mustang.  Proving even though she skipped a grade she was not that smart.
I turned the bone stock Stang into this 70s ride.

The 289 was still available in 68s as the base V8 but only in a 2v.  I'm thinking the dealer screwed up the order sheet and feed them a line.

Ted's 68 Mustang.jpg

• Like 1

On 3/16/2023 at 11:11 AM, Conserv said:

I guesstimated December 14, 1967 as your car’s build date, based on a few examples around it. But you can get the actual build date by emailing BMW Group Archives with the VIN and requesting their data on the car. Their email address is:

hdz.info@bmwgroup.com

Please share the date with the forum so we can update the Registry entry, which currently looks like:

Steve, you nailed it.

Here is the reply I received from the Archive.

Thank you for your email.

The BMW 1600 US VIN 1561924 was manufactured on December 14th, 1967 and delivered on January 5th, 1968 to the BMW importer Hoffman Motors Corp. in New York City. The original colour was Bristol, paint code 058. Further details are not known.

Nevertheless we hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,
Andreas Harz

BMW Group
Andreas Harz
BMW Group Classic
BMW Group Archiv

On 3/16/2023 at 11:11 AM, Conserv said:

• Like 2

• 10 months later...