• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering column top cover

Dickie

Does anyone have any ideas about a replacement one of  these? Mine is a devil to refit as after 50 years the brackets are all over the place making it almost impossible to align them. I thought of 3D printing one in ABS. Anyone got any ideas or have a good one? Or better still has anyone created one and have a 3D file ready for print?

9639ED91-CFFB-4AF9-90D8-C6F8EA1200AA.jpeg

Edited by Dickie

Yeah, they're kinda bitchy to align, even when new(ish) but a little patience will get you there.  I've always started each of the four long screws that go through the bottom section just a few turns--barely enough to keep 'em from falling out.  That'll give you wiggle room to align each one and start the threads.  Then tighten.

Also...it's much easier to reattach the upper and lower covers to each other with the steering wheel off--and that's an easy task:  pop off the center cover and undo the single nut in the center (19 or 22 mm depending on the car's year).  Be sure to mark the wheel and its shaft so you get it back on straight, then try wiggling the steering wheel back and forth to loosen it on its splines so you can slide it off.  If it's really tight, rethread the nut a few turns and wack it from its back side with the heel of your hand or a rubber mallet.  Skip the nut rethreading, and you're liable to end up with a face full of wheel when it does (suddenly) let go.  

I've also left the lower pad off the bottom section almost since my cars were new; I found that not only did it make the ignition key hard to insert--especially if the keys were in a case or on a ring with several other keys--but the keys would rapidly wear a hole in the padding.  

Try the above--easier/cheaper than finding another...

mike

PS--if you really want a screw alignment challenge, try reinstalling an E30 pax side armrest...

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

dont know when there was a change but there are two long screw types, one is a long screw with a standard flat end where the threads start and the other is  long screw with a pointed end where the threads start.  obviously the pointed end screws allow  easier alignment.  if you have the flat end type, try to find the pointed end type, much worth the change even if your originals are flat.

Gale H.

71 2002 daily driver

70 2002 malaga (pc)

83 320i (pc)