• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake Woes 2.0

Santawillis

Hello All,

Picked up a nice 1976 2002 Project and I cannot figure out what is happening with the brakes anymore. I set out with an original post but just when I thought I figured out the main issue I am running into extremely bizarre scenarios.

1 - Car came with a brake master in the trunk (hint hint) and so I purchased a brand spanking new master and found that no fluid was making its way to the furthest part of the master, replaced all of the rubber parts on the old master and was able to get fluid flowing through the whoel master. I was getting plenty of fluid in the front calipers but no fluid to the rear drums so a fellow enthusiast suggested new flexible hoses, bought braided hoses.

2- Fluid was not reaching the rear drums, replaced all flexible hoses on all corners of the car with braded and was finally able to get fluid to the rear of the car but now I am not getting any fluid to the front calipers ( Why!)

3- System is holding pressure well, tried to bleed by pressuring the resovoir (not exceeting 10 PSI) and nothing, bought a Mityvac pressure bleeder and tried to suck fluid out of the bleeders and nothing. I am losing my mind.

What am I doing wrong? Is this a hard line replacement? Do I have a clog? Am I bleeding incorrectly? Is this a new booster?

20221112_160743.jpg

IMG_1404alt-s~2.jpg

I’d take the mc out on the table and disassemble all & everything. Clean and examine very carefully the codition and correct order & orientation of every part. A small mistake here makes a difference.

Rest of the system is pretty stupid. Pushing air or b/fluid (w/ syringe etc) shows if it flows or not (nipples open of course).

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

This is not rocket science. The MC is either pushing fluid or it isn't. Your bench test has proven it does. Make sure again this is the case. Always work backwards (or forwards in this case) to determine functionality. That picture you posted shows no fluid out of one MC connection. You need to make sure fluid is flowing.

In your first try you got fluid to the fronts but after replacing the all 4 flexible lines, you're getting fluid at the back but not the fronts. This means that fluid HAS flowed to all four corners at one point or another. What changed?

I'd disconnect one flex line at a time and check for flow to it. Be careful as brake fluid is caustic. Do all four corners. Could be you have a clog somewhere inside your brakes. You need to know if fluid is reaching them but not the bleeders.

If you're getting fluid out of all the flex lines, you've narrowed it down to the brakes themselves. If not, you've still narrowed it down. Slow and methodical testing will result in the culprit. 

Sounds like junk in the lines to me. If so, getting a good flow through the flex lines is a good start to fixing the problem.

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS

First , make  sure you have free play in the pedal linkage. Any incorrect or incorrectly adjusted part of the mechanics between the pedal and MC can cause the a blocked reservoir port and that causes a lot of problems. 

Once you are sure your reservoir port isn’t blocked, loosen each hard line fitting at the MC and see if fluid flows when the pedal is depressed. 

Once you accomplish that, move down the line until you get the point fluid doesn’t flow. 

• Like 1

First , make  sure you have free play in the pedal linkage. Any incorrect or incorrectly adjusted part of the mechanics between the pedal and MC can cause the a blocked reservoir port and that causes a lot of problems. 

this.

There is an adjustment on the end of the pushrod coming out of the booster, too.  The primary cylinder needs to be

able to fully retract to open the port to the reservoir.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL