• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This worked so well, I had to post it.

Polymerjohn

I was dreading the removal of the rubber sound deadener in preparation to weld in the floor piece.  I would like to claim credit for this idea, but it was a guy I work with who said, "why don't you use dry ice?"

See the pictures.  I strategically placed medium pieces along the edge and covered the bottom and top with a towel.  Wait 30 minuted and viola!  This is one of few times when procrastination helped me.

Polymerjohn in OK

69603026268__6FA4CAC4-39FD-4481-86DE-3EE0F0719CB1.JPG

69603033627__78097515-82E0-4861-8F7E-43C491D2729A.JPG

I found the smaller 'gravel' worked  better.  I'd let it sit until frost formed on the floorboards under the car, and one

whack with the deadblow later, off most of it came.

I forget if the 2002 has any of this, but on the E30s, what the dry ice won't touch, the heat gun will make short work of.

t

add lightness.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

22 hours ago, Polymerjohn said:

I strategically placed medium pieces along the edge and covered the bottom and top with a towel.  Wait 30 minuted and viola!  This is one of few times when procrastination helped me.

Yep, a well-documented method used here over the past decades.

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

42 minutes ago, John_in_VA said:

Yep, a well-documented method used here over the past decades.

spacer.png

Copycat!

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

On 1/22/2023 at 9:23 AM, TobyB said:

I found the smaller 'gravel' worked  better.

+1 on TobyB's suggestion.  You can crush it up into small pieces and pour in a bottle of Isopropyl Alcohol and it makes a nice slurry that you can pack right on top of the insulation you are trying to remove.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Just now, Polymerjohn said:

I have a hole right of the gas tank I will need to patch.

So does almost everyone with a '76 (possibly other years).  They put a reinforcing boxed in section there behind the wheel and it gets filled with crud and rusts out.  I will be leaving that boxed section out, when I finally get around to patching those holes.  I've simply covered them using aluminum sound dampening sheets for now, to keep the mice out.