• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake futureproofing AKA E21 hub question

Max399

Hello everyone,

I have an early 1600-2 '69 roundie with single line calipers. The brakes are shot and both calipers need a rebuild.

Before i start ordering pats for the rebuild i wanted to ask if there is an easy option for later style brakes where the rotor is mounted in front of the hub like on the E21/E30.

I am not seeking bigger brakes, solid rotors are ok for me.

I can get used BMW parts from the later models, sadly other manufacturer parts are not really available where im at in Europe.

I know i can use the smaller bearing E21 hubs on my struts, those i can source.

But what about the rotor/caliper combo?

Can i use my existing calipers with some E21 rotors on E21 hubs? Can i use E21 caliper/rotor combo in my setup?

Maybe someone has part numbers for a combo that will work?

Some modification to the new combo is acceptable, i can find a machine shop to make changes that are needed.

Just want a setup i can get off the shelf parts that may require minimal modification to work, since getting OEM parts is a hassle at this point, no distributor has them and every part has to be ordered outside my country.

I essentially need a modification to futureproof the brakes.

Pic of my caliper and booster atached.

IMG_20230110_184816.jpg

IMG_20230110_184807.jpg

I believe you can use the later E21 hubs (for non-vented rotors), calipers and rotors.  Then, you can buy some double-threaded wheel studs to thread into the E21 hubs, allowing you to still use lug NUTS on all 4 wheels.  Someone will correct me if I am wrong.

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

Ooo- the E21 vented rotor, caliper, and LATE hub fit onto a standard 2002 strut-

I'm not sure that the caliper fits onto the strut, as I really don't recall the lug spacing 

on the caliper mount on the strut for a 1600...

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I recall from an old BMWCCA Tech Tips book that the single line calipers from an Opel Kadette of about the same vintage were a bolt-on to those early 1600 calipers...Anyone have that Tech Tips book handy to provide the exact information?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 1/11/2023 at 12:46 AM, Mike Self said:

I recall from an old BMWCCA Tech Tips book that the single line calipers from an Opel Kadette of about the same vintage were a bolt-on to those early 1600 calipers...Anyone have that Tech Tips book handy to provide the exact information?

mike

Let me look at my copy.  First page of the first section (brakes, wheels, suspension, steering)!

letter says “Opel GT has similar caliper with same bolt pattern, identical offset and brake pads”

Letter does not say which years.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"