• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil Pump Chain Part Numbers

2002#3

I , too, was a victim of a non-BMW, incorrectly packaged, wide OP chain, in this case, Fibi.  

I have a possible source for a "real" BMW OEM (likely narrow) ---140 chain.  I want to improve my chances of receiving a narrow chain.  

What is/are the difference(s) in these oil pump chains, both of which are shown in all the parts diagrams?  Same length?  Application?  Both same width?

• 11 41 0 652 140 
  • 11 41 1 716 989 

Thanks.

Larry

Edited by 2002#3

• 2002#3 changed the title to Oil Pump Chain Part Numbers

The one I'm looking at in the box, IWIS part no 50000082 KFZ, made in Germany and BMW part number labeled 11-41-1-716-989 is the real deal continuous chain (no master link).

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I suspect the 140 PN is for the shorter 44 link chain used on early engines equipped with a gear type pump.

MVP is now offering an oil pump chain in the correct configuration

og_image.png
WWW.MVPVINTAGEPARTS.COM

Manufacturer of Vintage Car Parts,MVP,BMW2002,BMW,bmwclassiccars,bmwclassic,bmw2002classic,bmw02club,mvpvintageparts,recreate a legacy

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

To further muddy the waters, I reused the oil pump chain in my last engine.

It had no discernible wear and as for any possible stretch..thats what shims are for.

I did however install new sprockets top and bottom. Seems thats where most wear occurs.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Is that dirt in pic with the ruler scale or is the sprocket gouged?  I decide which from the pic.

If the sprocket is worn badly, the wear can be seen on the teeth where the roller rubs as the chain leaves the sprocket.

Thanks, Jim.

Yes.  Dirt.  Does not look as if the rollers have caused any wear.  Teeth do not appear to be shorter, or worn in line with the sprocket plane, just beveled in a little from the sides at their tips.  I have seen others worn kinda like this.  Maybe a new chain also is beveled like this, too.  Dunno.  Would a better photo help?

The wear on the sides of the teeth is no big deal, the teeth valleys between the teeth where the work is done looks good.