• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque Spec Question - basic

Pablo M
Go to solution Solved by Mark92131,

Now that I've been digging into the mechanics of my new-to-me '72 02tii I've been looking for torque specs and came across these below. I also have Haynes manual, but couldn't find a torque spec for the oil drain plug so went searching further. 

My question is what does the +x and @1 mean? For example, the control arm connection shows torque to be 51 +14 @1. Does that mean 51-65 ft/lbs? Or something different? And what does the @1 mean? 

@flagoworld posted this link in a thread:

r8QdPFuDQRtVZgb1mJUi4n1YaO7956tnGBkKmoMb
DOCS.GOOGLE.COM

11 - Engine Engine ,Tightening Torques Nm,mkp,<a href="http://lb.ft">lb.ft</a> Engine (block) to gearbox (transmission), M8,25 - 27,2.5 - 2.7,18 - 19.5 M10,47 - 51,4.7 - 5.1,34 - 37 Cylinder head bolts The following procedure should be followed on all repair work where torquing of the...

@Buckeye created this diagram in a post I came across.

Slide1.JPG.48b489f813e47cfde9b7af0db7e8a1d3.JPG

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

• Solution

@1 means Note 1, the car needs to be on the ground with 150lbs in each seat, a full tank and 46 pounds of luggage in the trunk on the left side.  The 51+14 are min/max in foot lbs for the nuts in question.  Some torque guides (like the one for head bolts) have an initial torque in ft/lbs and then a torque angle in degrees.  You use your torque wrench to set the initial setting, then a torque angle gauge to complete the final torque setting.

Mark92131

torque angle gauge.jpg

Edited by Mark92131
picture
  • Like 5

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Joint disc attachment -14+2.2

Joint flange attachment -18+2.2

...but my torque wrench only goes to zero.

How do the negative torques work?

t

regen?

• Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

39 minutes ago, TobyB said:

...but my torque wrench only goes to zero.

How do the negative torques work?

t

regen?

Mine goes to eleven.

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.