• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is Metric Mechanic defunct?

schuetz1619

I just received my 5 speed conversion kit and spoke to Jim today about it. He is definitely passionate about his pistons!  And he enjoys the conversation while he’s recovering… those pistons and new Rally engine sound amazing. Expecting 250+hp out of an M10… 

26 minutes ago, E60coyote said:

I just received my 5 speed conversion kit and spoke to Jim today about it. He is definitely passionate about his pistons!  And he enjoys the conversation while he’s recovering… those pistons and new Rally engine sound amazing. Expecting 250+hp out of an M10… 

250 out of an m10 sounds mental. 

Is this carb'd or fuel injected? 

• Like 1

some cars

some motorcycles

some airplanes

some surfboards

Not normally aspirated and at 2.0L.  There might be a racer here that is running a 336 Schrick and super high compression (like 13:1??) and getting high HP.  Back in the day the Alpina and Schnitzer folks weren't able to get more than 230 out of slide injected motors with high compression and big cams (320/324) and dry sump.  My Schnitzer motor in fairly mild tune made 270 at 8300, but then it's a 16v twin cam and 2.0L.  Quoting HP is a weird thing but I get it for people that sell engines, so much manipulation can be done with the dyno (and chassis dyno's don't count IMO), you can fool with things and pretty much make it say anything you want (or what your customer thinks they want).  This is what my motor looked like plugged into the engine dyno when it was being run in and tested.  Quite a bit of data coming off of it.  I was there for a couple of dyno pulls, I have no doubt it makes what it makes.

002.JPG

• Like 5

Metric Mechanics builds good engines, but I always take their h/p figures with a grain of salt the same way I take someone who slaps a set of webers and a 292 cam on a stock engine is making 150 hp.  

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I second that emotion. Those numbers won't happen at 2L, carb'd, naturally aspirated. Just not possible. I'm that person, 336º, pretty high compression, lightened everything, headwork, custom fitted header, and I'm not getting those numbers. Of course I'm going by dynojet numbers, which is all that matters anyway. It's what you're putting on the pavement that matters, not what is at the flywheel.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Furry Camel said:

I second that emotion. Those numbers won't happen at 2L, carb'd, naturally aspirated. Just not possible. I'm that person, 336º, pretty high compression, lightened everything, headwork, custom fitted header, and I'm not getting those numbers. Of course I'm going by dynojet numbers, which is all that matters anyway. It's what you're putting on the pavement that matters, not what is at the flywheel.

Yeah, but do you have Surface Turbulence ?!

Your engine sounds pretty rowdy. What kind of dynojet  numbers are you putting down at the wheels ?

Edited by Lorin
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Furry Camel said:

I can't, because the answer has been sealed in a mayonnaise jar and can only be revealed by Carnac himself.

I guess I’ll never know, no way am I sticking my hand in a jar of mayonnaise !

I’ll try to dig up the Carson skit, thanks. 

• Like 1