• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Rust !

Dane

The subframe support braces still feel very solid thankfully and the corrosion on my drivers side wheel well was not nearly as bad as when I first peeled it back, you think it needs to be patched with clean metal regardless? 

A1DA5879-DFB1-4E5D-9A64-48D7CEED07DE.jpeg

4CF1BC24-1F68-4E6C-893D-A15F42C92080.jpeg

662665B5-AB6E-44DC-8596-BDC571EF11CF.jpeg

5526C39B-5A91-4B5B-B8DB-8CDF10926389.jpeg

3F1705B3-3BB2-457C-BF85-503A60C3D860.jpeg

9457182E-5E63-4D6C-82B0-87349A3CE8EF.jpeg

52811854-6E42-400F-A385-E0DD161231DD.jpeg

15E2A72C-7706-4983-A31B-13F2E2BE177E.jpeg

This is a good example of why I'm in the remove all the floor tar camp, don't do anything until you strip the floor completely and get a good look at what's ahead of you. IMO you rapidly approaching new floor pan territory rather than making a bunch of little patches. I get the fact that your on a budget but you'll be money ahead to wait and save enough to fix it once and be done.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

41 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

This is a good example of why I'm in the remove all the floor tar camp, don't do anything until you strip the floor completely and get a good look at what's ahead of you. 

I agree with SoM. I did all the tapping and probing I could and was certain my floors were great. I removed a piece of tar randomly and exposed holes in the passenger front floor. Really, there is NO WAY to tell until you remove the tar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

Yep so I’m just gonna go ahead and pull my front seats and carpet and do a thorough job on the pans, gives me a reason to put in new carpet after it’s all said and done too. 

PO is pretty sure the cars been in Central California it’s whole life, it sat for quite a while before the owner before him got it running again. I’ll be taking the car with me to Arizona in a few weeks, so it’ll be dry a majority of the year. 

So I know they sell floor pans you just drop in for the front and rear, but the areas that are corroded in my car don’t seem to have any prefabbed replacements, so patching it up is my best bet no ? 

10 hours ago, M3M3M3 said:

DSCN5930.jpg

Hey, that's the car that started Jim's original "What did you do to your 2002 today?" thread!

It's too bad that thread got cut short, but the replacement thread's still rolling along.

When I bought my car, I was aware of one little hole in the floor, up by the puddle box, but once the carpet and tar mats were out, I had some patching to do in both front foot wells.

It is not too hard to hammer out patches for places like that rusty corner.  Using a torch to heat where you shape it makes it move really easily.  Even a little propane torch will do the job.

088.JPG

089.JPG

I patched my floor with two pieces and put the joint on top of the frame rail.  This was the first piece.

095.JPG

I'll share this post from yesterday, as inspiration and as an example of very thorough rust abatement.

Tom

• Like 5