• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gray (elephant skin) vinyl & masonite side panels in trunk

schuetz1619
Go to solution Solved by Oldtimerfahrer,

I don’t know if that is the product name. I just showed the nice lady a sample and she pointed me to it. 

The material has an embossed pattern and is pretty heavy weight. 

Make sure you roll it up but do not fold it. She left some wrinkles in it that don’t come out. 

You will need two yards for the trunk. I used 3M contract cement #90 in a rattle can. 

11 hours ago, billy g said:

In case I want to opt for the 'real deal' elephant skin, is it still available?

I think hunting elephants is restricted now :rolleyes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

fwiw...originally the trunk boards were covered in a more plastic like material and the side panels for roundies were just painted grey...i have never grasped the "elephant skin" thing...i have few old, original trunk boards and the vinyl/plastic like material covering them looks nothing at all like what you guys call "elephant skin", in fact they have a very faint texture

here's an example of "elephant skin", sold by RogersTii and maybe Blunt...someone show me an original trunk board with a heavy texture like that and i'll eat my words

IMG_2582__24020.jpg

Edited by esty
forgot image
  • Thanks 1

In my experience, espy is right re. the side panels--gray paint, never elephant skin.

We have different experience, however, re. the "elephant skin." Since 1972 I've never seen an original floor panel covered in anything other than the densely textured  gray vinyl—the old swatch in slowbert's picture. I have a couple of off-cuts from "elephant skin" I bought from BMW in 1974 and it matches the texture of that swatch.

Completely unrelated: Is there a way to turn off the spelling autocorrect on this website?  

2 hours ago, jimk said:

I think hunting elephants is restricted now :rolleyes:

Sorry, I meant 'grey vinyl trunk floor covering'.  But at $60-$90 per yard of the original stuff, you'd think it was real elephant skin. The Hobby Lobby stuff should do nicely!

So, the elephant hide thing in 2002 world has always confused me as well. In addition to 2002's, I have regrettably restored a few Series Land Rovers in my day. The earlier trucks had "elephant hide vinyl" upholstery with a pattern like the photo attached. Doesn't look anything like the vinyl from a trunk board of a 2002 to me.

image.thumb.png.2ec70e9213e897221ad0488a11400e32.png

• 2 weeks later...

FYI, WN has the side boards on sale for the next 24 hours.  About $94 for the set. Great deal of you are already compiling a list of parts to order from them. Also, 5% off your order. 

51471814982.jpg
WWW.WALLOTHNESCH.COM

Set of trunk covers left and right side fits for all models and years of manufacturing (not for touring...

Edited by bergie33

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive