• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gray (elephant skin) vinyl & masonite side panels in trunk

schuetz1619
Go to solution Solved by Oldtimerfahrer,

7 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I think those are only for cars with puny bumpers.

Maybe so, my 75 didn't have those when I bought it.  But I still like the idea of having them since I have the punyest bumpers in the world w/ my IE fiberglass jobs.

7 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I think those are only for cars with puny bumpers.  They added reinforcement to the trunk sides in the real-bumper cars.

Interesting.

I never thought of them as “puny bumper” and “real bumper” cars. 

I always thought there were just “cool cars” and “square cars.”

Learn something new everyday. 

• Haha 2

I thought there were cool cars and ones with accessories for swimmers / surfers who wanted a mobile diving board. On Long Island where I grew up, the waves were not big enough for these differences to be material...at that time they were all cool.

• Like 2

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight 

9 hours ago, Oldtimerfahrer said:

I thought there were cool cars and ones with accessories for swimmers / surfers.

Yuup!  I love those "real-bumpers" every time I sit on them when changing out of my wetsuit after a surf session.  Yes, all dripping with salt water.   😊

ON TOPIC:  Sadly those side panels don't fit the big bumper US cars.  My 74tii probably wouldn't be here today if it didn't have the big bumpers.  I got rear ended years ago and the bumper actually worked.  Little to no damage to the body of the car.  The bumper shocks collapsed as designed.  Replace the rear bumper and shocks and was good to go.

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 2

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️