• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hanging wires

I can at least help with the yellow wire on the filter housing.  That's an aftermarket setup--the sender for either oil temp gauge or an oil pressure gauge.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Your top picture looks like a relay for an external resistor to the coil. The Black/white wire connects to the starter solenoid tap that is located in the loom below the fuse box. These are usually located in the engine bay, and I suspect the PO moved it under the dash to use for something else. Can you identify the other wire colors?

Yes, the Brown/yellow is the wire to the horn ring.  Looks like the Red/white wires connected to the ignition interlock buzzer for the seatbelts and ignition key (see #2 Fuse on attached sketch for possible clues).

The yellow wire looks like it's connected to an oil TEMP sensor on the oil filter housing. The oil PRESSURE sender is much larger and usually located next to the distributor.

Hope this helps,

John

1869650466_76BMW2002SeatBelt-ServiceLights.thumb.jpg.ac6415a89d86d2c5f5fb5e8d5d4fd9a9.jpg

• Like 1

Plus one on the sender, the oil pressure is best taken at the back of the head as stock, this is the end of the line for oil flow and if you have pressure there then you have pressure everywhere.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

John and son of Marty,  besides the fat black/white, one is brown with a black stripe, the other one is black, plus a fat black one.

I do have the oil pressure sender, see pic.  But I do not have the oil temp gauge.  Does it mean I do not need the sensor on the oil filter housing?  All I have to worry about is the horn wire and the one for the door lights correct.

0923221146a.jpg

The relay in your first picture is the starter relay found only on automatic cars.  Was your car converted to a manual shift?

OK to leave the temp sensor in the oil filter housing....as long as it doesn't leak. At lease the wire is there if you want to add an oil temp gauge.