• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gauging interest for 2002 tune box run

PatAllen

• 2 months later...

@PatAllen, if this most recent batch ends up being the final run of these have you thought about open sourcing the design of this? It would be neat to have it published to the board here so that the design doesn't get lost once your production goes away. Obviously you reserve the right to your intellectual property and any future financial benefit so apologies if this is a little too forward.

i am getting old but not dead yet so the design will survive.

i plan to make a new pcb design (simpler) and new runs but not soon, maybe late this year.

• Like 4

2006 530xi, 1974 2002 Automatic summer DD
1985 XR4TI, 22psi ±300hp
1986 yota pick-up, 2006 Smart FT diesel

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Pat - A suggestion:  My box from 2019 has an issue with the cloth tape wrapped around the cable...it's become very sticky, probably due to the Texas heat or fumes from a gas leak I had in the trunk in 2020. You can see the black on my fingers from handling the cable (the red is ink, not blood :lol:).

I've removed the tape and cleaned the cable with Goo Gone, and am adding heat-shrink tubing in place of the cloth tape.  You might want to look into something like this to replace the cloth tape.

IMG_4907.JPG

S/N 2579886 Inka (Code 022) Birthday 03 Dec 1971 Delivered 13 Dec 1971 to Hoffman Motors 40 DCOE's, 9.5CR, 123 Ignition 

#792890.Smaller.jpg

A question for Pat or others - I remember seeing a post where Pat showed how to connect/read an 02 sensor using the box, but I've been unable to find it yet.  Anyone with this information?

S/N 2579886 Inka (Code 022) Birthday 03 Dec 1971 Delivered 13 Dec 1971 to Hoffman Motors 40 DCOE's, 9.5CR, 123 Ignition 

#792890.Smaller.jpg

1 hour ago, Steve76063 said:

am adding heat-shrink tubing in place of the cloth tape.

Flexibility in the cable is mostly lost with heat shrink.  A more flexible covering from WireCare retains the flexibility.  Get the split wrap type that springs open to install without removing any connectors if recovering the cable.  

Edited by jimk
  • Like 2

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Jimk, I like that idea...I haven't applied the heatshrink yet, but was concerned about the flexibility.

Update: Here's how the cable looks with a wrap from Amazon :)...it does look much better than heat-shrink :) 

ps. I put some paint/nail polish on the connector so I know which way to connect it.

IMG_4920.JPG

Edited by Steve76063
Added photo of new cable wrap
  • Like 1

#792890.Smaller.jpg

• 4 months later...
On 6/23/2023 at 10:57 AM, Steve76063 said:

Jimk, I like that idea...I haven't applied the heatshrink yet, but was concerned about the flexibility.

Update: Here's how the cable looks with a wrap from Amazon :)...it does look much better than heat-shrink :) 

ps. I put some paint/nail polish on the connector so I know which way to connect it.

IMG_4920.JPG

Do you have extra wrap that you want to sell, or a link to the Amazon item?

• Like 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive