• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rear Axle CV Joints?

RMBaiada

I just rebuilt my 1974 2002. I noticed a slight knocking sound from the rear end, and just traced it to the outer CV joints. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of cleaning and regreasing my old CV joints, since they looked good, and I had no problem before I took my car apart. But that was 25 years ago, so maybe I did have a CV problem, but forgot.

Any suggestions on the best place to buy new CV joints (4), or new rear output shaft assemblies (2)? Also, do you have the part numbers for the CV joints and complete axle assemblies?

Michael

Edited by RMBaiada

It is definitely the CV joint. I can spin the wheel back and forth and see the outer part of the CV joint move, but not the axle.

I guess it is possible that the inner part of the CV joint is loose on the axle, but not likely that I would have missed that much wear in the splines.

Michael

I need 4 new CV joints for my 1974 BMW 2002, which are NLA from BMW. Is there a cross reference for the 1974 CV joints to a different car (VW, Mercedes, etc.)?

I just need the actual CV metal part and not the boots, and would like new, not used.

Ireland has Empi CV joints ($125), which I assume cross from a different car.

19 minutes ago, RMBaiada said:

Ireland has Empi CV joints ($125), which I assume cross from a different car.

I was going to come on and recommend the IE CV joints.

This is an incorrect assumption.  I worked with Jeff and Empi when these were done.  It was a fun project, in that the engineer at Empi was great to work with.  They are a “blank-slate” design, and not repurposed from a different car (goodness knows I tried).  IE commissioned Empi to make them as a sub-contractor/supplier.  Given Empi’s factory also makes cv’s for OE’s it was great matchup, but required a rather large up-front financial commitment.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Empi was a vw parts supplier you might try that avenue. 

Need some clarification here. There are (2) Empi companies.  The original was from the “early” days of VW high performance started by Joe Vittone.  A later iteration was started with air cooled parts made in The Far East.

Not sure who made them…. I purchased new CV joints from LaJolla Independent for my 69 project.  

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

3 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

I was going to come on and recommend the IE CV joints.

This is an incorrect assumption.  I worked with Jeff and Empi when these were done.  It was a fun project, in that the engineer at Empi was great to work with.  They are a “blank-slate” design, and not repurposed from a different car (goodness knows I tried).  IE commissioned Empi to make them as a sub-contractor/supplier.  Given Empi’s factory also makes cv’s for OE’s it was great matchup, but required a rather large up-front financial commitment.

I love every time we get to see behind the curtains.  Takes a lot of guts and commitment that few see.   

• Like 2

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

• 3 weeks later...

I purchased the Empi CV joints from Ireland Engineering ($125 apiece).

Everything was going fine, until the last CV joint (always the way), when while working the Redline CV-2 grease into the bearings, I went a little too far in one direction and popped past the ball bearings. I now have 2 pieces that I can't get back together. I rotated them in every direction, but the ball bearings just won't line up and slip into the grooves.

1. Is there a front and back to the inner splined piece like there is on the outer part?

2. Is there a special way to line the CV joint pieces up so it slips back together easily?

I have done this before, but so far, no luck. There has to be an easy way to put the CV joint together.

Any suggestions.

Responding my own question, along with the post here, I also emailed Andrew Thorum, the technical rep at Ireland Engineering. Andrew emailed me back within an hour and suggested YouTube.

I found the following video on YouTube.

I followed the instructions in the video and had the CV joint back together in 5 minutes.

Stay safe.

Michael 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2