• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stereo and after market gauges wiring questions

jp5Touring

Installing a new stereo and some Speedhut gauges and have a couple of wiring questions.

Power all the time for stereo will come from a positive block I have in the engine compartment.

This will have an inline fuse also. The power when on/running will come a purple/black stripe  wire off the flasher connector.

This is what the PO used to power old stereo with no known problems. So I think I'm good for powering everything.

First question is where is the best or easiest place to tap into for Lighting the stereo and gauges.

I also have a couple of unattached wires  under dash and would appreciate  any info what they are ??

This wire purple/black stripe for power when car is running. Wire is  blue after connection.

IMG_4135.thumb.jpg.17e123e11daaae1c091c1af1a79c19de.jpg

These wires are just loose under the dash. Brown/green stripe with a white stripe inline fuse but shows no power when tested.

Other wire is green/white stripe and shows no power when tested.

IMG_4136.thumb.jpg.3d39ff03e132d1e9a76b6e6f5eafd397.jpg

Green/white stripe wire comes off the connector on right side of steering column.

Hanging wire with black cover is the green/white stripe wire.

IMG_4140.thumb.jpg.a8ae3a7259b84b2f6fc7520503498686.jpg 

Any help would be appreciated I've searched with little luck and I get Chemo Brain when looking at my Wire Schematic.

Pretty simple stuff I'm sure.  

TIA
Jim

IMG_4137.jpg

IMG_4141.jpg

Edited by jp5Touring

Jim,

There should/might be a 3-pole connector under your dash (by the hood release lever).

Look for the Blue/grey wires. This is where you plug in your dimmable gauge lights.

The Green/white wire in your photo is (typically) a fuse-protected +12V when the ignition is ON.

Disclaimer:  Your actual color codes could be different. 

+1 on those crazy factory wiring schematics!

John

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, jp5Touring said:

Green/white stripe wire comes off the connector on right side of steering column.

I think that one is for the key-in-the-ignition buzzer.  Look at the wire that comes directly out of the ignition switch side.  That wires the buzzer, which most folks have long since removed.

And of course brown wires are (almost!) always ground wires on a 2002...

Your stereo is gonna need two hot leads--one that's always hot to power the memory, and a second that's ignition hot, that will power the receiver/amp when you run it.

If you have a 73 or later 02 with illuminated heater controls, that's the easiest place to tap into the instrument dimming circuit.  

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks John and Mike . My 02 is a 1973 I should have mentioned  that.

I had the hazard switch disconnected when testing the connections, bad idea.

The green/white stripe wire did show power ALL the time when I hooked up the hazard 

switch.  So I can use that for power on all the time.

The brown /green stripe wire still showed no power and what I thought was a old style  

in line fuse holder was just a male/female bullet style connector. Will pull the bare wire and 

call it good.

I do have illuminated heater controls so I will tap that for my lighting.

Should be good to go.  ?

For a '73. . . I challenge you to do better than the PO:

- Purple/black is wipers power from fuse 5. . . yeah that's OK, but off the hazard there should be a Purple/White that is SPECIFICALLY meant for switched radio power from fuse 6.  That'd be a better option.

- See if that green/white goes back to a three-terminal connector.  My bet it does, where you'll find one of them to be a FREE grey/blue wire that, you guessed it, is for your lights! Also that green/white should eventually make its way back to fuse 12 and be hot in start and run

- Constant power, as always, is obtained at the cigarette lighter, red/yellow, courtesy of fuse 1.

image.png.bb6ac3bc7c5e09391a3977911ec7f4d9.png

image.png.8486e42e49748c200d39b04f2dc36956.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

For a '73. . . I challenge you to do better than the PO:

- Purple/black is wipers power from fuse 5. . . yeah that's OK, but off the hazard there should be a Purple/White that is SPECIFICALLY meant for switched radio power from fuse 6.  That'd be a better option.

- See if that green/white goes back to a three-terminal connector.  My bet it does, where you'll find one of them to be a FREE grey/blue wire that, you guessed it, is for your lights! Also that green/white should eventually make its way back to fuse 12 and be hot in start and run

- Constant power, as always, is obtained at the cigarette lighter, red/yellow, courtesy of fuse 1.

image.png.bb6ac3bc7c5e09391a3977911ec7f4d9.png

image.png.8486e42e49748c200d39b04f2dc36956.png

The green/white wire goes to a connector next to the steering column and is always hot.

I'm using that for power all the time.

I"m using the purple/white by hazard switch for power when  key is on.

I just went out and looked again for the light power and found  three grey/blue wires that had the connector on it.  So Thank You for making me go back and look again.

So everything is covered.

Light wire connection I will use.

IMG_4144.thumb.jpg.14cb9f374aa2c10015d9b163f4ca35c0.jpg

Power on all time runs through this connector. Passenger side of steering column.

Green/White wire has a black cover over it in picture. 

Zip tie because a side tab is missing.

IMG_4143.thumb.jpg.829f63bd8fd2ef02610dea90487bf7de.jpg

Depending on the power requirements of your head unit (likely not more than 25W), you may want to (should) run a separate, fused circuit directly to the battery or use the factory radio circuit to switch a relay connected to a stout connection to the battery (e.g., the 12V power socket (ex. cig lighter).

• Thanks 1

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga