• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New to me ‘74 2002, your thoughts??

JFFM

Hi,   
recently just got a 2002 ‘74 that’s getting a lot of my attention since I found many special parts and is pretty well assembled, could this be any particular edition?  Or PO knew very how to put special parts together.

Contacted previous mechanic and said it could be a ti factory homologation… who knows...

These are some details found:

- 3691xxx vin, matching numbers

- factory power sunroof

- tii’s clock over dash

- 11S40 LSD ‘74

- 4.1 final drive 

- Getrag 232.00.139.00   5speed close ratio

-  dual Weber DCOE16 45

-  had an alpina airbox which PO hasn’t found yet

-  BMW intake manifolds

-  BMW 300 camshaft (standard journals)

-  E12 ‘74 head

-  unable to check pistons

-  rare long exhaust headers.  Ports 1-2 connected by a long tube (see pics)

- 008 distributor

please share your opinions of full car or particular parts

thanks

403FF9CD-C72B-4EED-80D4-2F1C28DE4455.jpeg

239E3A83-7642-4538-928F-D3A008159D74.jpeg

AACAC56C-E2A0-4EB5-8987-03CD1EB4C37E.jpeg

88F232D0-B2CF-41EE-8661-D0D22D8AA256.jpeg

3E32B93F-A29F-4101-80A6-021AE9D5B040.jpeg

119CC204-A5E5-4578-848C-9915CC8E8F12.jpeg

86855CAF-232C-4218-96EE-C1646882F912.png

4DCAED61-882A-471D-B9E8-FE32E82D0D25.jpeg

86A4055A-B86B-4951-9978-188B5DCF26E5.jpeg

931D3E21-B453-41EA-9D7F-51135C30F47B.jpeg

5A451A2D-CD17-4157-960D-DC4B2107F03A.jpeg

99CD5A77-6563-4F41-997F-3E42B6F6847D.jpeg

B845DEAF-08EE-431D-8447-DA4AF94BD809.jpeg

18CD4AAA-03C9-44E0-88D2-29BD6F9D4893.jpeg

D2FD1E0B-E2A6-4654-A8E3-199BFB3258B8.jpeg

AF6A8A94-52AA-492C-AFE2-A8CACA58F8D2.jpeg

2341AEBF-98BA-4F09-B087-F64CAC5C91CB.jpeg

9EA75E64-F739-4A51-A2A6-38C19C25D94F.jpeg

• Like 3

Not a US spec car and just loaded with goodies!   Don't believe it was a "special edition"--even in Europe the only "special edition" I can think of was the Lux trim package, but that was just trim, mostly interior. 

It appears that Mr Alpina has breathed on it based on all those special parts that didn't come with 2002s normally.  Very few US cars came with electric sunroofs; the few I've seen were either European delivery cars that didn't come through the Hoffman organization (direct order by military or diplomatic personnel) or were 75 or 76 cars sold after BMW NA took over the US market. 

Heck of a score you have there; did you find it in the US?  Oh, and from the pictures it appears to have Cosmic wheels on one side and 320is wheels on the other...  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Just now, Mike Self said:

Not a US spec car and just loaded with goodies!   Don't believe it was a "special edition"--even in Europe the only "special edition" I can think of was the Lux trim package, but that was just trim, mostly interior. 

It appears that Mr Alpina has breathed on it based on all those special parts that didn't come with 2002s normally.  Very few US cars came with electric sunroofs; the few I've seen were either European delivery cars that didn't come through the Hoffman organization (direct order by military or diplomatic personnel) or were 75 or 76 cars sold after BMW NA took over the US market. 

Heck of a score you have there; did you find it in the US?  Oh, and from the pictures it appears to have Cosmic wheels on one side and 320is wheels on the other...  

mike

Thanks Mike!

It is a euro spec model sold at Guatemala's local BMW dealer to previous owner (who passed away).  As far of what I've researched, it is the only one with factory power sunroof here in my country.

Previous mechanic said they guessed also it could be a ti lux,  but AFAIK ti's were roundies only.   This car was resprayed and re upholstered,   so difficult to know if it was a Lux model,   rear badge is a 2002 stardard

I replaced cosmic wheels with bbs mahle 13x6 I had as spare for a 2002 '69 I have

36 minutes ago, JFFM said:

it could be a ti lux,  but AFAIK ti's were roundies only. 

Your mechanic was confusing two different models:  a "tilux" was a twin carb version of a NK sedan with an upgraded interior; I believe they came in 1800 and 2000 flavors.  A "ti" 2002 was a twin carb version of an '02 that succeeded the 1600ti and preceded the 2002ti, which was discontinued when the K-fish fuel injected tii came out in late 1971.  None of the two door ti's were imported to the US as they wouldn't meet the Federal emission requirements that began in 1968.  That's actually why we got the 2002 here.  Finally a "lux" 2002 (not sold in the US) was a trim option on squarelights that had velour upholstery, a drop down armrest in the center of the back seat, real wood trim on the door panels and a cut pile carpet.  

Well, being in Guatemala explains why it isn't a US spec car--although I've seen US spec 2002s in Panama (not surprising!) but also in Nicaragua and Costa Rica.   A very cool car with lots of goodies that simply are (mostly) unobtanium these days.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Not a badge special, more of a parts special.  Whomever built the car certainly had their enthusiast cap on.  It's a car that was clearly intended to be driven hard!  Not pampered with terry-cloth wipedowns and only trotted out to shows.  Hopefully it'll bring you stupid big grins in the years ahead.

The auto sunroof and clock are neat in passing ..... but IMO they are not what make this car special.

• Like 5

The posts above pretty well capture your car: it was a well-optioned original car — the 5-speed close ratio, power sunroof, and even the limited-slip differential appear to be original — with some nice post-factory upgrades.

As previously said, no ti’s were manufactured after April 1971. And a ti is defined by its VIN. This was not a ti from the factory. And there were lots of components to the Lux interior package, none of which are present here. Unless someone went through the car, systematically removing every Lux component, this did not have the Lux package. So simply appreciate all that you have, and you have a lot!

BMW Group Archives can provide you with the specific manufacturing date, and confirmation of the factory exterior color. Just email them with the VIN and request Archives’ data on the car.

info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com

RealOEM.com, when you select the “Classic” catalog, will provide the month and year of manufacture (for 1974 and later cars). The 3691xxx VIN cars were manufactured in September and October 1974. This is late in the year and those 1975-76 style seats (narrow-spaced headrest supports, plastic covers on the recliners) appeared on September 1974 U.S. models — which were technically 1975 model year cars for the U.S. market. So those seats, the frames, not the covers, could well be original to the car.

The E12 head was cast in September (or possibly October) 1974 (9, possibly 10, “nubs” surrounding “74”).

The differential was assembled September 1974 (“9” over “4” on the left front flank). The original ratio of the differential was 3.64 (“40” teeth on the ring gear divided by “11” teeth on the pinion gear). And the differential’s rear cover was cast in July 1974 (7 “nubs” surrounding “74”). The dates on these items largely confirm that the differential is original to this car. I’m not certain what you’re looking at in positing a 4.10 rear axle ratio. 

The two brackets that support the rear of the transmission appear to be welded onto the driveline tunnel, and I see no evidence of 4-speed brackets — they were mounted just under 4” forward of the 5-speed brackets. Certainly, a careful and loving owner might have moved the brackets and welded them on in the factory fashion, but I’m guessing the 5-speed is original to your car. If you ever have the engine or transmission removed, inside the transmission’s bell housing you’ll find a casting date. I’m guessing that date will be sometime in 1974, but before the car’s manufacturing date.

As to the tii clock, it was a “thing” back in the day: mounting a tii clock on a non-tii. I bought my ‘76 2002 new in July 1976 and mounted a tii clock the first week I owned the car (below).

Enjoy your very-well-equipped new car!

Regards,

Steve

33B3210D-30F9-40DC-9DE9-C935350FC6C8.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

4 hours ago, Conserv said:

The posts above pretty well capture your car: it was an well-optioned original car — the 5-speed close ratio, the power sunroof, and even the limited-slip differential appear to be original — with nice post-factory upgrades.

As previously said, no ti’s were manufactured after April 1971. And a ti is defined by its VIN. This was not a ti from the factory. And there were lots of components to the Lux interior package, none of which are present here. Unless someone went through the car, systematically removing every Lux component, this did not have the Lux package. So simply appreciate all that you have, and you have a lot!

BMW Group Archives can provide you with the specific manufacturing date, and confirmation of the factory exterior color. Just email them with the VIN and request Archives’ data on the car.

info.grouparchiv@bmwgroup.com

RealOEM.com, when you select the “Classic” catalog, will provide the month and year of manufacture. The 3691xxx VIN cars were manufactured in September and October 1974. This is late in the year and those 1975-76 style seats (narrow-spaced headrest supports, plastic covers on the recliners) appeared on September 1974 U.S. models — which were technically 1975 model year cars for the U.S. market. So those seats, the frames, not the covers, could well be original to the car.

The E12 head was cast in September (or possibly October) 1974 (9, possibly 10, “nubs” surrounding “74”).

The differential was assembled September 1974 (“9” over “4” on the left front flank). The original ratio of the differential was 3.64 (“40” teeth on the ring gear divided by “11” teeth on the pinion gear). And the differential’s rear cover was cast in July 1974 (7 “nubs” surrounding “74”). The dates on these items largely confirm that the differential is original to this car. I’m not certain what you’re looking at in positing a 4.10 rear axle ratio. 

The two brackets that support the rear of the transmission appear to be welded onto the driveline tunnel, and I see no evidence of 4-speed brackets — they were mounted just under 4” forward of the 5-speed brackets. Certainly, a careful and loving owner might have moved the brackets and welded them on in the factory fashion, but I’m guessing the 5-speed is original to your car. If you ever have the engine or transmission removed, inside the transmission’s bell housing you’ll find a casting date. I’m guessing that date will be sometime in 1974, but before the car’s manufacturing date.

As to the tii clock, it was a “thing” back in the day: mounting a tii clock on a non-tii. I bought my ‘76 2002 new in July 1976 and mounted a tii clock the first week I owned the car (below).

Enjoy your very-well-equipped new car!

Regards,

Steve

33B3210D-30F9-40DC-9DE9-C935350FC6C8.jpeg

Thanks a lot Steve,  your information and from other members as well,  is very helpful and interesting for me.  Much appreciated 

what are your thoughts about the header?  I can only imagine the long and thin tube that connects horizontally cyl 1 and 2, could be to compensate or make some effect on different tube lenghts as 3 - 4 cylinders 

BR,