• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Power Steering Just Installed

dblinsqaun

Still somewhat new to my car ('74 tii) and this forum so be kind please.  My other car is a '95 993 and their Rennlist forum is beyond snarky.  I thought I would let people know I bought and have just now had installed a power steering system from EZ Electric Power Steering.  No affiliation.  Previous owner had installed bigger rims/tires, most of my driving is putzing around the Jersey Shore, parallel parking at the beach has been a PITA, over-inflating the tires helped some, enrolling in the local gym for upper body strength never happened.  I am a reasonable wrencher but when I saw the 30+ step install instructions and considered my 69 year old aching back, decided to contract the install off to my local garage.  Got it back today, can not be happier.  Electric motor on the new steering column, full range control with a potentiometer installed in the glovebox, everything crisp & clean.  Took it out for first ride this afternoon and love it.  Not cheap, $1750 or so to purchase, ca. 10 hours labor cost.  Life is short.  If anyone has questions, I will try to get answers.  Love this forum

• Like 7

Great! 

I think it'd be good to change your subject line to "power steering now installed!" or the like.

Glad it has worked out well! My ugly car is still on skinny 13s so it's still feeling quite light, especially after the new tires.

Cheers,

• Confused 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

So you are from Savanah with extra hh's.  I took an assignment to help start up a mfg site in the early 90's.  Rented a beachfront home on Tybee.  My 4 yr old daughter, now married at 31, had never seen a person of color, raised in in northwest NJ.  Now she embraces everyone.  Life is good.  Power steering is good.  Very thankful.

• Like 1

I'm from everywhere! Here for the last 4 years.

I had pizza with a fellow local 2002 owner here tonight who is much more of a native, of over 3 decades. Tybee is still nice.

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I drove two cars equipped with this on the Provence Tour last month. Mich from Derby Classics is a reseller and has fitted it to his CS with TISA 6" wheels. It was a bit vague around the straight ahead and I wasn't overly impressed, but he explained his steering box is worn and needs replacing.

Second was in Ralphs widebody 02 with fat zero offset wheels and tyres. Felt perfect, nicely weighted, decent feel, as good as 02 steering gets. I've always been a sceptic, but can really see the appeal when you're not running original skinny rubber on original offset wheels.

Mich reckons with experience it's a 6hr installation, but he's fitted a few.

DSC_0786.jpg

Edited by NickVyse
  • Like 3

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

• dblinsqaun changed the title to Power Steering Just Installed

Pretty much everything is reversible so I'mall for convenience...I don't miss the power steer on the 2002, but I have two E30's and the one "with" is a lot easier to maneuver....cant imagine doing a gymkana with a slow box and no power steer....guess I am getting old.

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight