• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for central coast 02 owners

wtb 2002

Hi all, 

After nearly 20 years, I am once again the owner of an 02. My first car was a 74tii, my second, a 71 02, and my third a 88 535is. 

I recently bought a 73 "project" out of a barn in Sacramento, and am in the process of a full restoration. 

I am a long time removed from actually driving an 02, and am having trouble making decision about how to spec this thing out. Decisions that have been madeare:

5-speed (245)

Lsd

E21 Recaros

Suspension upgrades (open to suguestions.

I plan on a Top End Preformance built engine with dude 45's... not sure about cam, comp ratio though, as it is hard to determin what trade off I want to make in the lowere end and driveability. They advertise a 170 hp plant, but I'm worried that the bottom end comes on slow. I'm thinking that the drive on 1 up to Big Sur will be demanding low down, and Ibdont want to build a track car that needs 3k on the tach to come alive.

I'm also considering the e24 rear seat conversion, but have not actually seen one finished. 

I would really like to meet someone who has been through the process, discuss what they are happy they did, and what they wish they did. Also, I woukd love to just look at a well put together 02 for inspiration. Happy to travel up to SF or down to LA. If there are any weekend meet-ups, that would be a goldmine!!! 

Let me know if any one is interested in meeting up, or if there is a meet-up that I could attend for inspiration.

Thanks, and happy 02-ing

Ben

This year the car show SoCal Vintage will happen in LA on November 6th. That would be a great opportunity to meet 02 owners and forum members and talk shop. 

I believe I heard SF Bay Area folks are planning a caravan down south to attend the show. Maybe you can hop on that. 

good luck and congratulations on finding a new 02 project! 

• Like 5

1965 Hillman Imp - Rosemarie

1969 BMW 2002 - Dolores

1975 BMW 2002 - Rolf

1984 BMW 533i Swap - Alfons

I live in Atascadero, and hope to have my’74 tii on the road in the next couple of weeks.  Not an expert on mods, but would love to try to get an informal 02 gathering together - maybe at one of the local Cars and Coffees.  Greg 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gh356 said:

I live in Atascadero, and hope to have my’74 tii on the road in the next couple of weeks.  Not an expert on mods, but would love to try to get an informal 02 gathering together - maybe at one of the local Cars and Coffees.  Greg 

I agree. I am in Santa Barbara and just got my '73 tii going again after it sat for a few years while I was distracted by other projects. My girlfriend and I love going to SLO and the surrounding areas to check out great roads and breweries, so I would love to meet some other 02 owners in the area, or any other cool car people who like to drive their old cars.

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

If I may be bold, I'll suggest a gathering location:  the Embarcadero area in Morro Bay ...... just over the hill from Atascadero.

Specifically:  Tognazzini's Dockside Too ....... plenty of seating ...... fantastic BBQ'ed oysters on the half shell ..... they go well with ice-cold champagne, fantastic scenery, and 2002 conversations ........

?u=https%3A%2F%2Ftse2.mm.bing.net%2Fth%3

Cheers,

Carl

• Like 2

Oak Creek Road ..... NICE !!  I always stay at The Carlton in Atascadero, and the morning drive is Hwy 41 over to Morro Bay to enjoy champagne & bbq'ed oysters for breakfast ..... then zoom north on 1 to Hwy 46 East for the return and some wine tasting.  So I've been at both ends of Oak Creek Road a gazillion times.

Next trip up there I'll be driving Oak Creek Road !!

Cheers,

Carl

Edited by OriginalOwner
  • Like 1

So many great roads in that area! CA-58W between Hwy 33 and Santa Margarita, followed by the roller coaster ride of 229 between Creston and Santa Margarita is a particular highlight.

Peachy Canyon Rd west of Paso Robles is another great one.

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

Hi all, I apologize for not being active on my own OP.

Unfortunately, I a have a wedding to attend to in San Diego on November 7th! Obviously, the So Cal Vintage is where I need to be:( I really appreciate the advice and am truly bummed that I cannot go)

I will definitely make the trip some time In the near future to Los Gatos, grab some coffee and green! Sounds great!.

As far as a central coast 02 meet up, all I can say is !!!! YES !!!! 

I have been living in Los Osos Precisely 1 year as of this post. Last year my family moved from Mt. Horeb, WI. My first car was a 74 tii, and the roads around here just mandated another 02. Though the current ride is little but a shell, the roads around here are a constant inspiration to finish the project. 

I'll be in Lis Gatos soon, but I love the idea of an 02 gathering in the area!

If there is anything I can do to help make thus a reality, let me know!!!

Thanks,

Ben

• 1 month later...