• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

$695 for License Plate Lights ?

Milo

On 10/2/2021 at 6:33 PM, Autostrada said:

No, this is not BS.  Here in Los Angeles and Southern California in general 356s and 912s were not uncommon as very affordable and used old sport cars which could be found in solid and running condition for $2,500 - $3,500. Several of my friends purchased them as their first cars. And, they were all from "Blue Collar" working class families.  At the time I purchased my 68 1600 for $500 and drove it home. Both, my friend with the 356  and I commuted to UCLA, located on the West side of Los Angeles, from Burbank and back, a 40 mile round trip in some heavy traffic. To circumvent the traffic we found curvy routes through the hills. And, we took turns driving while carpooling, one day I would drive my 1600, and the next day it was the 356. This was 1983 - 89. 

In 1984 I answered an add in the "Recycler" where a gentleman in Pasadena, CA was selling two 1600GTs for $4,000. One of the cars in Granada Red, was really clean, mint. While the Turf Green parts car was complete, but rough. These cars are selling for over $125K,now. They were dirt cheap back then. 

I've been contributing to this board since 2005. 99.9% of  my posts have nothing to do with complaints and "Rants". But, recently I have started complaining and focusing on the exponential increase in prices relating to these cars and associated parts. I've been driving and working on these cars for 40 years. The opportunists have descended on this hobby. And, they are attempting to charge exorbitant prices for the simplest of parts associated with these cars. 

While your anecdotes may be true things that happened to you, I just went and looked in some old roundel magazines from 1983 and most of the 2002s and tiis ranged in asking price from $5000 to $8000, with a few really heavily modded ones asking up to $18000. When you convert that to 2021 dollars that is a range of $13,733.28 to $21,973.25, and $49,439.82 respectively. The e3s and e9s also were in the mid to upper teens for asking prices also putting them around $40000 - $50000.

And the $2500 to $3500 sports cars that you mention would be equivalent to $6,866.64 - $9,613.30, not to say that's not cheap but a college kid spending the equivalent of $10k on a car is not necessarily cheap wheels.

I don't like or agree with all the current prices either, but just because the numbers were lower in the past doesn't necessarily mean they were that much cheaper, sometimes they were sometimes they weren't.

Edited by albatcha
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, Autostrada said:

The really desirable “A” models and Speedsters could be found for $10K - $15K.

One that got away from me back in 1963:  a '51 Porsche with a cloth sunroof and the original round Grundig radio still in place, on the Ft Lauderdale VW dealer's used car lot.  Ran just fine, no rust.  $300.  Sigh...

That Cobra Daytona coupe you pictured just above:  I saw it run at the '65 Sebring race.  My college roommate and I were on the timing staff, and on our 4 hour shift we timed Hap Sharp's Chaparral, which ended up placing second, behind Jim Hall's car.  That was the year of the deluge--something like 4-5" of rain inside of an hour.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Nobody is putting a gun to your head to buy shit. Maybe the guy/gal/them inflated the price because he/she/it was trying to hold their listing on eBay? Your glory days are clearly over. The cars are going up in value. At least your car will be worth something when you decide it’s all just too much for you. 

I sometimes wonder if Slavs/Autostrada/whatever, might be a member of that "very small group" known as owners.

He usually shows up when things are slow, posts something that generates a lot of clicks.

The site does not run on good feelings, its a business that runs on and(hopefully) generates profit for said owners. Most of that profit is probably ad revenue and no one wants to purchase ads on a slow site.

Slow day on the Faq? Slavs to the rescue!

Either that or he just likes "stirring up the shit" as evidenced by  this:

Anyone who's lived anywhere near the Bay Area knows not to refer to San Francisco as "Frisco" They dont like it, Slavs knows this. Its an intentional jab.

Whatever he is, he's "click worthy" and the "very small group" no doubt love him. ?

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

So a Porsche 356a was only $13k in 1985? And you could buy a house in Santa Monica for $200k. Of course that was immediately after one of many great California real estate busts and during a terrible recession. Still adjusted for inflation that $13k is $33k so very expensive for a collectible, at least for us commoners. That was also the year I bought my first new car, a Honda Civic SI, which was, you guessed it $13k. (that was a great little car, but I digress) So are the current Porsche and BMW markets in a bubble? quite possibly. The VW bus market sure has come crashing down. As one friend put it, "I guess every Internet millionaire and fading old hippie already has one."