• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Censorship - Cancel Culture

20O2Shaman

time to move on mate, In that vein,

I think some of the later starters from newer BM’s for example that Ireland and others sell  are a better bet than the original, my understanding is lighter, higher torque, less draw, almost plug and play, I certainly wouldn’t worry about originality with this part unless you have a super low mileage concourse car.

Try this? A little bit of fabrication required.

https://www.iemotorsport.com/product/high-performance-starter-2002/

2 hours ago, 20O2Shaman said:

The rest - ho hum, trite, unimaginative.  Brave persons, you keyboard warriors.  You'd never have the balls to say the same, face to face.

i promise i'd not disappoint you if we were face to face...i takes more time and energy to type on a keyboard than it does to open my mouth and speak

i meant what i said, you started by acting like an asshole...that i do know

i stopped reading your original post and haven't read any other posts except your last one because you mentioned me...if you are looking for the M3 starter, use the search there was just a response on where to find the starter at the best price a few nights ago...i've bought 3 of them from that same source

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks, SydneyTii.  I've had very good luck with IE over the years - extra fab no problem.  Greatly appreciate the link; thanks for searching and helping.  I also found this -

BMW Starter Motor - Bosch 12412354693 | FCP Euro

You have to love any part that warns not to hit it with a hammer.  

My prior-post Pelican link is a no-go - unfortunately, "not in stock" (same as the mysterious gas cap shortage).  But, Pelican's "rebuild" thread is somewhat helpful and encouraging.  Might have to give that a try.

Bosch Starter Rebuild Kits? - Pelican Parts Forums

Follow the Plan, all the best, 2002Shaman

Edited by 20O2Shaman

4 hours ago, 20O2Shaman said:

Mike Self - many thanks, your opinion please - al440x bosch vs SR71x?  Is that a moot question - is the 440 even available?  My original, 50-year old starter is causing excessive amp draw.  Maybe just rebuild and keep it all numbers matching?

Happy to help.  Both replacement starters provide the same (or slightly more) torque than the original motor, and have the advantage of being several lbs lighter--and smaller.  Their smaller size makes installation a bit easier--not as tight a squeeze.  If you're not going for originality, one of the smaller, newer motors is a good choice.  But if you want to stick with originality, keep your current motor and either have it rebuilt, or delve into it yourself. 

If it's turning slowly even with a good battery and clean connections, the problem might be the rear armature bushing.  It's pressed into a plastic sleeve, which has probably disintegrated over the years, allowing the bushing to spin with the armature, causing significant drag.  I did a column on how to fix this (the plastic sleeve is NLA from Bosch); PM me and I'll send you a copy.  Even if that's not the problem, if you can solder, you can replace worn out brushes, clean up the commutator ring and have practically a new starter for a whole lot less $$ than buying a new one.  And you have the satisfaction of saying, "I fixed it myself."  

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

11 hours ago, 20O2Shaman said:

Thanks, jgerock.  I can only find Pelican for a source.  I'll give it a try, but I may have better luck with hens' teeth?  Google isn't helping here - and yes, I've checked with Blunt, of course.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_Info/SR440X.htm?pn=SR-440-X-INT

I’ve purchased (3) Bosch starters from Blunt. Two for the 2002’s and a third for my 911.

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Mike Self, thank you so very much.  I think you pinpointed the issue - it's "turning slowly even with a good battery and clean connections, the problem might be the rear armature bushing."  As Col. Hans Landa would say, "That's a bingo."  Although I'm all for upgrades and improvements, I would like to keep the original, if possible.  I appreciate the DIY nudge.

Mike, I've thoroughly enjoyed your columns over the years, and I can't believe that I missed your writeup on the starter repair.  Probably because, in 30-plus years, I never gave the starter a second thought - until now, of course.

And so, in particular, to Mike, jgerock and SydneyTii - many thanks for the help, pictures, links, and suggestions.  Pizza for you.  Slavs, I enjoyed the good read and fine prose.  To honor the effort, upon repair or replacement, I will consider stenciling my starter, "Yeremenko."  But - does that mean the starter will die a heroic death?

Steve, thanks for letting me into the fold.  Even if it was a bit of a rocky start, you certainly provide the best forum for sharing technical knowledge. 

Follow the Plan, all the best, 2002Shaman

Edited by 20O2Shaman

5 hours ago, Slavs said:

I do stand by the historical content in my post, though, even if off-topic.

Actually you ARE on-topic…. this thread was a rant against power and abuse.  In an abundance of accommodation and sympathy the topic of car parts crept in.  Normally the OP would be advised to use the search function (upper right corner of screen) and a few very kind souls would post some links related to the topic.  It is the continued bashing of not just Steve but the general membership that we are calling out.  Oh, and I guess I’ll finish up by suggesting the OP fill out their PROFILE…. ?

• Thanks 1

Ah jeez, time to take this thread to the pasture.

@Fletcher for one who just has to get their political jabs in before saying don't feed the trolls is a touch ironic.  @Slavs jumped the shark a while ago, don’t think of it as a baseline.

If this last year of social media has taught us anything it’s that you have to be pretty dense to think your effecting change by bringing up politics online... and even more so in the context of an online forum for fellow car enthusiasts.

The FAQ has largely escaped the craziness of this past year largely by its members being smart enough to not poop where we play.  I will gladly sit down with either our resident Qanon Shaman or our Crazy Commie and passionately debate whether or not waist trim should be removed.

We’re better than this.  Let’s get back to our regularly scheduled program.

• Like 4