• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with Weber 40s

Dawskip

Hello all,

I’m a e30 guy and recently moved into the 2002 world. I’ve acquired a 2002 with a beef cake of an engine, included in that are the Weber 40 DCOE. I’m not a carb guy, in fact this is the first carbureted engine I’ve owned, however I know that something isn’t right!

I’ll attach a picture, but to describe it — the carb linkage is being held up with a spring. Without it the carbs basically operate as if they are open, I’m not a expert but I feel like this spring isn’t the correct / safest way to operate the vehicle and was wondering if someone could give me some pointers on the correct setup? 

8121620E-6D1A-429C-B6DA-1F2829F086BD.jpeg

It's a throttle return spring, and although janky looking, it will work as intended.  Those are some slick old Italians, very cool.

My suggestion

-ditch that throttle linkage and run this one.  That particular linkage likes to slip and can be a bother (especially for a new recruit on the cool kid carburetor bandwagon).  You can see a similar spring in this kit (along with a cool inline one).

-ditch those filters and run short stacks with socks.  No stack filters make low end idle tuning worse than it needs to be. 

-edit:  Also, those look like O-ring style soft mounts.  Ditch them when reasonable.  They will leak.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Son of Marty said:

+1 on Andrews post, your likage will work but it's hard to keep in sync, how does it run now?

running good now tbh, struggled at idle on start up but other than that no issues. 

that being said, the PO did have that rare issue of carbs being stuck open, figured something wasn’t great with the current setup. 

My learning experience with DCOEs was made far better by the acquisition of 2 things-

a synchrometer

http://www.redlineweber.com/html/application_guide/redline_synchrometer.htm

and a wideband oxygen sensor, with gauge.

https://www.innovatemotorsports.com/

Oh, and then the internet.

https://www.lainefamily.com/images/WeberTuningManual.pdf

Not to undercut Hal's business, but it's pretty easy to get an adjustable center link, and then

use the overarm parts you have to make a far better linkage for not much effort or money.

That's the 4th thing I did with mine, after the dual overarms refused to stay in sync.

Make sure each carb closes itself (on the pump spring) when disconnected from the main linkage.

Then add 2 separate springs to the main linkage.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

10 hours ago, TobyB said:

Not to undercut Hal's business,

Not to worry Toby, we are barely keeping up with demand right now with no advertising (except for these random thread highjackings!).

The reasons are simple:

Our linkage system is a bolt on solution, no fabrication required.

It is based on the original 2002ti linkage system, it looks "OEM"

Synchronization is all done on the carbs, not the linkage

It is rock solid and requires no maintenance

It is recommended by everyone who has one!

Oh, and did mention it is shiny!

GlitterPhoto (2).png

h- appreciates the segue!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Hal, My 74 got twin webers and the factory linkage back in 74, I can't tell the factory stuff from yours, and my linkage has been bullet proff over 250k miles. The trouble with the "twin post" set up as shown is the engine rocking pushes on the throttle rod where the single post reduces this until it's not noticeble. 

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

On 6/25/2021 at 12:23 PM, TobyB said:

Not to undercut Hal's business, but it's pretty easy to get an adjustable center link, and then

use the overarm parts you have to make a far better linkage for not much effort or money.

That's the 4th thing I did with mine, after the dual overarms refused to stay in sync.

Make sure each carb closes itself (on the pump spring) when disconnected from the main linkage.

Then add 2 separate springs to the main linkage.

Any thread on this somewhere? Would like to explore this option if its not too difficult / saves me money

Well, see, that's why Hal's doin' so well-

you'd need to go to a vendor, find just the center link part, and then get the other little

bits and tabs to make it work.  I think I got mine from Redline back when they had a print catalog-

I picked out the center adjuster, got 2 extra tabs, then filed and modified and extended to get it to work.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I have the same linkage as you. Those turnbuckle style connections to the carbs gum up easily and stick the carbs open. Using that big return spring just makes your pedal very heavy. I converted those turn buckles to 8mm ball connections and that solved all my sticking problems. I will post pictures when i get home.

You can also consider Hal's kit. Either way you should make changes to your current linkage.

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

9 hours ago, TobyB said:

Well, see, that's why Hal's doin' so well-

you'd need to go to a vendor, find just the center link part, and then get the other little

bits and tabs to make it work.  I think I got mine from Redline back when they had a print catalog-

I picked out the center adjuster, got 2 extra tabs, then filed and modified and extended to get it to work.

Couldn't have said it better myself.  Except for our system, nothing out there is designed specifically for the BMW 2002 .  All aftermarket "kits" require mods and adaptation and end up looking like they belong on a 1980s Ford Bronco instead of a BMW.  The end user winds up spending many frustrating hours trying to force those "kits" to work,  Or ends up redoing it to try to make it work like @Stevenc22 above.  Our system eliminates all the guess work, fabrication, and frustration.

Here's a simple graphic that compares some of the possible options.Linkage Kit Comparison Chart.png

Oh, and did mention it's shiny!

GlitterPhoto (2).png

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png