• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vent Frame Questions

As reassembly of the doors is in the near future, I need to give some attention to the vent window frames.  They are oxidized and the rubber top caps are gone, but I have replacements.   I also have new fuzzy window track material from Performance Parts.

Were the top caps designed to be attached with the frames dismantled, prior to riveting?  If so, I will need to drill out and disassemble.  What size are the rivets in the frame?

After I remove the cloudy anodizing,  the question is do I apply polish only (and re-apply), POR's Glisten, or Powder Coat?  I suspect if I could find a shop doing brite-coat anodizing, it would be very expensive.

Edited by David Layton

I am not sure i understood the first question, but while i was changing the seals i drilled out the original rivets, removed the window, polished the aluminium, put the new seals and put the new rivets. Attached here are some photos from doing this (in random order, but it will still help you). I dont know the rivet size but take from the shop different sizes around 3-4 mms and see which size fits good. About the polishing and anodizing - i didnt anodize them, just polished and treated them with that Poorboy’s pink wax. But the reason i left them unanodized is that i couldnt explain the galvanize shops here that after anodizing the frames must be still shiny. If you can do that go for it. If not you just treat them with the wax from time to time

E7944D89-CDF5-4F1E-BAB8-4CE6A45938BB.jpeg

72927CA1-5A0C-4C80-AF94-1AA767A382E0.jpeg

EA8F5026-6A3D-4D87-A47C-254EFE8BAB25.jpeg

3A3C5870-D870-45B5-A63B-ECEDE0AF12ED.jpeg

F4035158-E1D0-49E4-B45E-266F7108AC3B.jpeg

7FD1D7FD-00FF-4835-92B2-63C3F7D067A4.jpeg

E07F1D4B-B243-430F-8F22-252413AB4EC6.jpeg

07/73 BMW 2002tii Golf, powered Sunroof

Thanks for the excellent reply!  The 'Top Caps' have tabs on them which led me to think that they were inserted prior to riveting the top of the frame.  The last picture shows where the top cap was.  It should help on wind noise.

Edited by David Layton

David

I have tried the Por 15 Glisten and found that it left little bubbles after I applied it, did not like that look.  Now I use a product called Everbrite      Works great, leaves that polished aluminum trim nice and shiny and well protected ( at least for a year, that is how long that I have used it for, did a wrecked piece and have left it outside to see how it held up  very good )    

Thanks, Rick

4 hours ago, stephers said:

Now I use a product called Everbrite     

Is that a wax or an applied coating, like a clear coat?  And where does one find it?

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 4/30/2021 at 10:54 AM, stephers said:

David

I have tried the Por 15 Glisten and found that it left little bubbles after I applied it, did not like that look.  Now I use a product called Everbrite      Works great, leaves that polished aluminum trim nice and shiny and well protected ( at least for a year, that is how long that I have used it for, did a wrecked piece and have left it outside to see how it held up  very good )    

Thanks, Rick

Everbrite or ProtectaClear?

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

The Everbrite came yesterday.  The coating, their metal polish some disposable items and their well-written instructions.

I am taking all of the rubber gaskets and tracks out of the frame and will replace after the coating is done.  Everbrite will into eat any of these.  

One final question, it looks like the rubber "top cap" is inserted prior to riveting.   Has anyone replaced these?  Should I drill out the rivets and replace, or can I do this without that last step in dismantling.  The chrome base of the vent frame triangle needs a little sanding and polish as well.

I just pulled a frame out of the door yesterday and had  a look at it today.

I don't think you have to remove the rivet for the top cap.  It looks like it's just pushed in and then held in place by the fuzzy window strip.

I think the only rivets you need to remove are the ones for the top window pivot so you can remove the window to replace the gasket.

The chrome on my lower piece has all pretty much peeled off.  I looked at what it would take to remove it, seems like it's held in with some special rivets?  I think I'll just mask off the aluminum frame, sand it down, hit it with some semi gloss black, and hope it blends in with the gasket.

John Baas

1976 BMW 2002

2001 BMW M5

My Blog!

If you pull the window out of the two-sided vent frame, you can spring the vent window frame out.  I am getting the necessary rivets from Maximillian as I think it may be better to assemble the window after the new gasket in that manner.

I have some chrome pitting on the base.  I will polish this first to see how it turns out.