• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Seat back trims question

IanIreland

10 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Yeah, it seems odd that bar and the seat rail are the only bare metal visible in the interior I think. 

Ran out of budget?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

BMW didn't make the seats--just gave specs to the seat maker.  And I may be wrong on this, but I suspect the fully reclining seats and the 3 position seatback (used only on 1600s for the US market) use the same seat frames for the base and back.  The 3 position seats don't have that torsion bar, so rather than making two different seats or upholstery sets, the seat manufacturer (most likely under direction from BMW) made only one set of frames/upholstery that could be fitted either with the reclining mechanism or the 3 position adjuster.  

Can anyone verify that?  yet another 2002 minutia rabbit hole...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

18 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

BMW didn't make the seats--just gave specs to the seat maker.  And I may be wrong on this, but I suspect the fully reclining seats and the 3 position seatback (used only on 1600s for the US market) use the same seat frames for the base and back.  The 3 position seats don't have that torsion bar, so rather than making two different seats or upholstery sets, the seat manufacturer (most likely under direction from BMW) made only one set of frames/upholstery that could be fitted either with the reclining mechanism or the 3 position adjuster.  

Can anyone verify that?  yet another 2002 minutia rabbit hole...

mike

I cannot verify that, Mike, but I strongly suspect you’re correct. The manufacturer for 1600-2 and 2002 seats, at least from the 1966 through 1974 versions, was P.A. Rentrop, AG.

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Ian, presume you have black-painted reclining mechanisms vs the chrome ones.  The factory black paint was terrible--turned soft and gooey, and the seat belt rubs against it, wearing it off in short order.  

And yes, there's a trick to reassembling the recliner mechanisms and it's not intuitive.  I learned the hard way, and ended up doing a column on the subject.  PM me if you'd like a copy.

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite