• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Bring a trailer - strategy?

ketchup

1 hour ago, Streetcar said:

I think one of the biggest things regardless of how you decide to proceed is to be active and able to provide info to potential buyers throughout the duration of the auction. A lot of questions can be answered preemptively with great photos (especially of the underbody/ trunk) and videos of driving and walking around the car.

Side note: I always think classic cars seem a little more 'honest' with no tint, but that's subjective.

GLWS!

absolutely, I will be honest to a fault with this photography. As far as the tint goes, I completely agree. I just spent probably four hours of arthritis inducing pain last night scraping purple tint off my 2002. I can only assume it’s been on there since the 80s, it came off molecule by molecule. That said, I’m not really in the mood to do more tint removal right now ? good thing it’s in good shape

Thanks for all the great insight, everyone. Perhaps I’ll share the link back here once it’s listed, whenever that happens. Originally I was looking at comps on bring a trailer; of course you throw out the freakish $50,000 anomalies, and looking at the lower half of the board, you see things in the $3000 range for a basket case projects up to $18 or so. In fact, some in the 11 or 12 range, if I remember correctly, were automatic transmission cars, non-sport models. So my first thinking was – hey, what do we need to do to get this in the $12,000 range? But if the answer to that question is “spent $10,000”, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. ?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ketchup said:

... So my first thinking was – hey, what do we need to do to get this in the $12,000 range? But if the answer to that question is “spent $10,000”, it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense. ?

+1

Yes!

Good luck,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

I don't like speakers in the doors, kick panels or rear shelfs(or is that shelves?). But these got my attention.  Their only function other than push out driving music that I can see is to provide an easy grab handle to close the door when it is fully open.

Good thing Chris Bangle didn't see these.

Steve

• Haha 1

Hey, Bangle irritated us at the time, but that was before we realized how bad things were going to get at this company when it comes to design, inexplicable nomenclature, heavy SUV lust, and the like ?? I would take him back in a minute.

That said, I probably should ask about price. In so doing, I will conveniently refrain from revealing how much I have IN it, to protect myself from embarrassment and ridicule

The real question is what kind of return on investment will you get for anything you do to the car?  If you spend $2000 on fixing the rust will you get more than $2000 more for the car than what it might sell for "as is"?  Especially if you are into the car on the high side of the market already it is possible the least amount of money you will loose might be spending nothing on it and taking what ever you can get.  

• Like 1

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

2 hours ago, ketchup said:

I just spent probably four hours of arthritis inducing pain last night scraping purple tint off my 2002

Thanks for the 2002 content!  This fits better in the Off-Topic section.  Good luck with the sale.

• Thanks 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

unicorn car

and E21 are never going to occupy the same paragraph.

just what it is.

t

likes the E34, thank you very much, and sell me your wagon.  

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL