• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getrag 240 input shaft bearing correct?

Elhart

So doing a M42 G240 swap into a 75 2002. The tranny  input shaft seal was leaking badly so decided to replace. Removed housing cover and seal was indeed trashed. Having never been here before I noticed the ball bearings and roller beatings seemed odd. See pictures Should there be more balls bearings in the race? Also the roller bearings behind the ball bearings appeared to be very loose. Is this wrong or right? Of course the guy I bought the tranny from said it was good and he ran it in his car with no problems prior to doing and LS swap.  Thoughts?

trans 3.jpg

trans 4.jpg

trans.jpg

trans2.jpg

Oh thats wrong, no wonder the seal was trashed.

The missing bits are probably in the bottom of the case.

Drain the oil and see what comes out.

BMW PN 23121224375 appears to be NLA, other internal  damage is to be expected.

That gearbox is most likely "not economically feasible to repair" Sorry

22A5D25A-585C-4CBB-B6B6-4836F31FC02C.jpeg

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

4 hours ago, Elhart said:

Of course the guy I bought the tranny from said it was good and he ran it in his car with no problems prior to doing and LS swap.  Thoughts?

From the looks of it that seems unlikely.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

That may be bits of the bearing cage that has disappeared from your bearing, close inspection of a similar bearing for a G245 shows that the ball bearing cage that retains and spaces the balls is indeed, plastic, nylon, teflon, whatever.

Geez, when did that happen? bearing cages should be made from brass...right?

Good luck, there's a few on Ebay but be selective. Some jokers selling them  there don't even seem to know what they fit.

Post an ad in the Parts Wanted section here as well, ya never know.

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

The big question is where are your balls and rollers I'm pretty sure the can't come out the front so must have gone into the gear box, also you can barely see it but it looks like the input shaft splines have a lot of wear, can you post a picture of it? 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I took apart a for parts 245 recently that looked a lot like that. When I opened the case the roller bearings came falling out. The rollers destroyed the input gears and left a bunch of metal and plastic in the bottom of the case.

Your probably better off getting another transmission rather than rebuilding this one. The parts to fix this one will cost more than a good used transmission.

• Like 2

On 3/16/2021 at 10:08 PM, Son of Marty said:

The big question is where are your balls and rollers I'm pretty sure the can't come out the front so must have gone into the gear box, also you can barely see it but it looks like the input shaft splines have a lot of wear, can you post a picture of it? 

Well I know where two of my balls are but not the rest of them. Might just split that thing apart just to learn

12 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

I took apart a for parts 245 recently that looked a lot like that. When I opened the case the roller bearings came falling out. The rollers destroyed the input gears and left a bunch of metal and plastic in the bottom of the case.

Your probably better off getting another transmission rather than rebuilding this one. The parts to fix this one will cost more than a good used transmission.

Yup. On the hunt for a new one