• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Did this happen to our 02's?

gary32

To me, I'd define a supercar as something that's so far away from the ordinary that it causes people to stand up and take notice. As cars are used as tools or appliances to get from place to place, a supercar would also do that task in a manner that's truly significant. They seem to push the envelope in terms of styling and engineering and are often made with a clean sheet design, without a mold or assembly line. They exceed the known limits, pumping out more performance than ever before and sometimes they can manage to change the way we think about cars forever. To some, a supercar is when the pursuit of performance and passion create a piece of art and that's been seen again and again in history as many of the supercars we know and recognize are so drop-dead gorgeous.

Sami Haj Assaad

Yes a Supercar. 

57 minutes ago, dang said:

Supercar's are born supercars.  They don't become supercars.

Edit:  IMO

Ths is correct. I would define the 2002 as a cult classic that revolutionized the small sporty 2dr sedan.

The M1 is a super car. Made in only small numbers by hand and only really intended for racing but sold to the public to meet homologation requirements. The e30 M3 is almost a super car but not quite since it was based on the same e30 unibody with some tweaks and different panels.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, dang said:

Supercar's are born supercars.  They don't become supercars.

Edit:  IMO

Agreed, but some of the aggressive resto-mods being fabricated from 02's are stout.

This "supercar" comment came from a GTR driver I passed on San Vicente this morning.

The rotobimmer pegged the 500 hp Tri-point chassis dyno, we guessed 540 or so at the wheels. 

I have nothing but respect for BMW history that's just not the car I want to drive and keep.

Edited by gary32
respect for everyone

Naw, in fact I think much of the appeal of the 2002 comes from its inherent anti-supercar-ness.  High enough production numbers to make decent availability, easy to work on, easy to live with, surprisingly utilitarian. . . in short all the qualities I felt our old contemporary 911 DIDN'T posses, and then even further down that spectrum we get to the real supercars, like the Countach or Stratos, and now IMO you're about as far away a 2002 as you can get!  Just a few months ago I took my daughter camping in the 2002.  Don't recall seeing any Boras out camping though, ever! :P

PXL_20201115_140744247.jpg

• Like 5

3 hours ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

Don't recall seeing any Boras out camping though, ever!

Funny you say that.  When we camped at the Historics at Laguna Seca in 2017 there was a Father/Son camping below us in a Bora and a late-model Maserati.

• Like 1

Wikipedia says:

The BMW 02 Series is a range of compact executive cars produced by German automaker BMW between 1966 and 1977, based on a shortened version of the New Class Sedans.

Avg: "much of the appeal of the 2002 comes from its inherent anti-supercar-ness"

I still put my tools in the back seat or trunk and drive to job sites. I thought I was building a sleeper. 

The GTR owner was 36 years my junior but he knew my car was a 2002 he just had a much different perception.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, gary32 said:

The GTR owner was 36 years my junior but he knew my car was a 2002 he just had a much different perception.

When I drive a 2002 people smile and check it out at the gas station and in parking lots.  When I drive my coupe people say, "Hey, is that a Corvair?".

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

14 hours ago, M2M3 said:

2002's are a mass produced econobox built to save the BMW company from bankruptcy. 

and then it turned in to a cult car.

about as far from a supercar as you can get.

When I look at your M2 I see 1st rate craftsmanship by a skilled craftsman.

How do you classify and value your car?

What are other peoples perceptions?

8 hours ago, joebarthlow said:

no. the only BMW Supercar is the M1. The 2002 is a mass-produced sport sedan.

no the most iconic BMW Supercar is the Bügelfalte an M1 is mass production.. (just kidding)

BMW-328-Mille-Miglia-Buegelfalte-08.jpg

Edited by uai
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

Supercar & super car are two distinctly different things. Supercars are impractical while a super car is just a good to great car. Supercars are usually driven by wealthy people with little skill & have short lifespans due to lack of talent. 

• Haha 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40