• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

300 HP, How to Assemble Our Engines Engine Builders Chime In

Benjamin A.R.

I made 2 videos showing how I built up my M10. The goal for this one is 3 times the power the 1975s left the factory with. I'm asking to see if anyone has any other tech tips or whatever that I should include in this series. I think I explained things pretty thoroughly, but I may have missed something since this is my first "ground-up" M10 build. Let me know what you think!

Edited by Benjamin A.R.

If you are using the ARP head studs DO NOT USE THE SPECIFIED TORQUE OF 90 ft/lbs!  You will CRUSH the cylinder head around the rocker shafts!  With the fine thread at the nut end of the stud 65 ft/lbs is more than enough to keep the head gasket (MLS) in place. 

• Like 3

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

2 hours ago, Preyupy said:

DO NOT USE THE SPECIFIED TORQUE OF 90 ft/lbs!  You will CRUSH the cylinder head around the rocker shafts!

Too late haha. The machinist I was working with said 110nm so that's what they got. I didn't notice anything odd, felt fine. Did 3 steps with a wait period in between. Under what circumstances did you find this occuring? It's such a tight fit I would think that the rocker shafts would provide enough support. 

On 1/9/2021 at 10:39 PM, Benjamin A.R. said:

I made 2 videos showing how I built up my M10. The goal for this one is 3 times the power the 1975s left the factory with. I'm asking to see if anyone has any other tech tips or whatever that I should include in this series. I think I explained things pretty thoroughly, but I may have missed something since this is my first "ground-up" M10 build. Let me know what you think!

Are you trying to compile information on a M10 300hp boosted build or are you following a model by others?

I know of 2 boosted M10's but 200 rear wheel hp is really all that was safe and reliable.

My last M10 2 liter, 292 cam, head port and polish ccd 10.25 compression, 40 dcoe's put 121hp to the ground and is still running well with 1 head refresh and 120k miles. This was assembled over 20 years ago when parts were easier and cost less. I see all kinds of hp and dyno numbers here that seem a tad optimistic. 

Looking forward to your results.

• Like 2

I'm trying to document the process as much as I can. The hot ticket is going to be E85 or lots of water-meth, 91 isn't going to cut it safely in my opinion. It's all in the tune, unfortunately that's one of my weaker areas of knowledge, but I made it this far. The M10 has insane potential that for the most part isn't accessed much in the US.

How many hours (or minutes) do you get out of each of these motors?

An M10 with 200hp at the rear wheels I know can be a 100k mile motor with some care and disciplined maintenance.

It just depends what your goals and budget are but you have to be realistic.

Or drink some Koolaid.

2 hours ago, gary32 said:

How many hours (or minutes) do you get out of each of these motors?

If this were 1989 and I were playing with K-Jet I would be more concerned. I've been running 10 psi on my bone stock 200k+ mile M10 for the past 10,000 miles... smacking the limiter most of the way. The engine doesn't care at all. I never even strapped it to a dyno, it's street tuned. I don't buy the narrative that M10s are delicate and you're on borrowed time.

• Like 1