• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Advice on messing with toe in

Johnny Riviera

Or use this method with two sticks of wood, two innertube rubber bands and two little S hooks bent out of wire.

025.JPG

027.JPG

I attached the tapes to mine, but you can simply hang the sticks and hook the tape on them to measure.

021.JPG

030.JPG

Tom

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
Glitchy glitchy. Words disappearing when posting and photos jumbling out of sequence.

Honestly I find toe easiest to get really close just by eye- sighting along the tire walls and see where the line lands at the rear wheels, and then use the sticks/similar for the final fine tuning.  I'm usually within 1/32" by eye, and to your original question I want to say that final 32nd tends to be about 1/4 of a turn of the tie rod.

• Like 1

+1

The eyeball method works amazingly well to set the front wheels parallel to the rear wheels. Like AVG says, sight along the outer sidewalls until left and right are misaligned to the rear the same amount (lock the steering wheel horizontal while moving the tie rod ends).

On my car, I replaced the steering box and made certain it was centered before mounting the steering wheel on the steering shaft in its final position. It's easy to be off one spline and not notice it.

• Like 1

Jerry

no bimmer, for now

Thanks for all the great responses. I just had the car aligned after I did some front end work. It feels a little lazier on turn in than it did, and I’m not sure if maybe the toe was a little more aggressive with the old alignment. Didn’t measure before disassembly. 

Just want to play around a little