• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake booster swap/delete options

mbarbary

To add a wee bit... it's a commonly covered topic, but there is no great solution (hence why it keeps cropping back up).  Depending on what intake manifold you are going to use, you might be fine.

Cliff notes:

1) Tii booster, smaller OD (lots of $)

2) booster delete (strong leg muscles required)

3) alternative booster (no kits, going to be custom)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, AceAndrew said:

To add a wee bit... it's a commonly covered topic, but there is no great solution (hence why it keeps cropping back up).  Depending on what intake manifold you are going to use, you might be fine.

Cliff notes:

1) Tii booster, smaller OD (lots of $)

2) booster delete (strong leg muscles required)

3) alternative booster (no kits, going to be custom)

I will add for option 1 that you also need to do something about the Tii booster being longer than the base model booster. The master cylinder will interfere with the battery and hang over the battery box by a couple inches. I got a shorter (front to back of the car) battery and cut a small flap into the battery tray to route the brake lines through. In the future I plan to move the battery to the trunk, or under the back seat.

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mbarbary said:

the engine same from e28 518i

Yeah I'm with @tech71, assuming that 518i is still the same old 1.8L M10 with the 'upside down' manifold, you won't have any issues with the booster itself, and will only need to make sure you have some clearance between whatever you put together for the intake piping and the nose of the brake master cylinder.  Here's a similar picture of that area with that manifold in my car:

IMG_20170409_093416.jpg

• Thanks 1