• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drats - forgot I likely need a special transmission mount?

tdskip

Good morning gentlemen , I hope everybody’s having a good weekend. Trying to get the 2002tii build  buttoned back up with the five-speed 240 gearbox, but pretty sure the mounts it up I have won’t work.

Is there a preferred mount for the 240 5 speed box? It looks like it is different enough of a length that it won’t mount to the stock location.

Thanks!

10000149-90D0-40E4-BB11-2E54143813AB.jpeg

Thanks for the responses, will check out the vendor options.

It looks like I could use this amount if I fabricated years to locate it to where the stock placement is, maybe I’ll just fabricate something?

appreciate the fast and helpful responses.

Your 1 rear mount (with speedo drive?) 240 is from an 83 320i. Its a one off version. 84 and 85 318i 240s have 2 rear mounts and no speedo drive. 

I bought a mount for my 240(2 rear mount version from 85 318i ) from Blunt for about $125. Its an across the tunnel mount that is easy to install and sturdy but I am not really happy with the clearance between mount webbing and stock exhaust downpipe. I did some grinding to increase clearance but its still pretty tight.

When you talk to Blunt make sure they know your 240 is the single rear mount version, hopefully they will have something that fits up in the tunnel now.  Eliminates exhaust down pipe clearance issues.

Fabbing your own is an option but I recommend you support the installed trans on a jack, fit your driveshaft and adjust trans height to get proper driveshaft alignment before fitting/installing your mount.

Not a bad idea to fit your shift platform as well first.

Basically get everything else ( shift platform, driveline, clutch master and hose) fitted and sorted first. Do your rear mount last.

Probably have to cut out a bit of the passenger side heat shield as well.

I had to remove the original 4 speed mount tabs located in the tunnel. There was no way they were going to adequately clear the  new trans case. Maybe your 320i 240 is different but do check it out. 

IMG_1096 4.JPG

IMG_1162.JPG

IMG_1093.JPG

IMG_9931.JPG

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Out of curiosity, how's your clearance between the bell housing and the steering center link? I'm (slowly) putting a 74 back on the road, it has a 240 in it and it rubs at full lock. No problem when the steering is centered, but the link raises up a little at full lock. 240s aren't nearly as common as 245s, looking forward to hearing your experience. 

Koboldtopf - '67 1600-2

Einhorn - '74 tii

They all do that.You have to remove some material off the big square boss as shown.I used a carbide burr and a mini grinder.

Alternately, I have heard here that an "offset center link is also available somewhere.

IMG_1169 2.JPG

IMG_1168 2.JPG

IMG_1167 2.JPG

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

• 2 weeks later...

Well - the mount showed but only the rubber part I already had due to apparent miscommunication.

I'm going to try installing the various mounts and see what the cleanest path towards the support looks like.

I'll make sure to get everything to the right locations before any welding.