• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help with VDM Steering Wheel

enoz05

It looks like the "sport" version of the wood-rim steering wheel the factory fitted to 2800CS coupes and 2800 sedans.  Those wheels were identical to the roundie "bus wheels" but with wood rims.  The "sport" steering wheel that was fitted to many '70 US spec 2002s (the infamous "fire/strike--take your pick--in the steering wheel factory") also came with a wood rim vs the leather (pleather?) rim, just not for the US market.

Does it have the hole for the 2002 style spring loaded horn contact in the hub?  Does it also have two small threaded holes on the back side?  If so, it was meant to be used as an accessory steering wheel for either sixes or '02s.  The two wood rim bus wheels I have have provisions for both the spring loaded contact and the brass contact ring.   

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, 02Anders said:

Seems to be the optional wooden rim from a 1600ti or very early 2002ti.
I lovely steering wheel - both to look at and to hold.
I currently have one installed in my '73 BMW 2002...  ?

6324545E-FE89-4167-A2FF-E8081DD198F6_1_201_a.jpeg

Thanks, any idea what this steering wheel is worth in this unrestored condition ?

1 hour ago, enoz05 said:

Thanks, any idea what this steering wheel is worth in this unrestored condition ?

I bought an unrestored in pristine condition for 120€ - but I am not a reseller...

• Like 1

I don’t know what they actually trade for, but there have been a pair on eBay for some time, with healthy asking prices:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-wooden-steering-wheel-02-ti-tii-E10-2000-CS-1602-1802-wood-rare/274401109657?hash=item3fe394a699:g:v6gAAOSw6N9eZLXh

https://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-2002-wooden-steering-wheel-02-ti-tii-E10-2000-CS-1602-1802-wood-rare/274401108455

They are beautiful wheels.

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

12 hours ago, HBChris said:

It is not an e9 wheel but early 2002 as noted.

Agreed.  When looking at the back side, there's only the hole for the spring-loaded contact that was used on the '02 series.  If it were also for use on the coupes or Senior Sixes, there would be two small holes to attach the brass contact ring used on those cars.

Nice find!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite