• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Blunttech engine mount reinforcement - any tips?

tdskip

Lots of good pics here,  I installed the Blunt / IE style mount.  I thought long and hard about the short stud on the rectangular mount and used a prevailing torque nut, the thinnest or no washer I could find and Loctite. My plate welded in looking like the NY nick method. 

Definitely file the lowest point where your reinforcement goes into a vee.. every bit helps to allow the mount to go to the bottom and let the locating dowel into the right spot. 

I'd just clearance the bottom of the slot to accommodate the washer so it sits on the original mount then the nut will engage all it's threads. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Just mock up the new mount in with the filler piece and work it out in your head what you will do. see that link and @NYNick photo 

You can like I say just go without a washer, I used a lock nut OEM BMW. And Loctite.

The nut prevailing torque feature was probably not engaged fully, also considered a 10.9 shallow height nut, but I prefer loctite over a wave washer.  

image.png

Thank you for all the responses and tips. I did trim the mount reinforcement yesterday so I should be OK for access and mounting. 

I did have a rare and brief moment of clarity this morning – I’ve been talking to you guys about doing the subframe bushings, and dropping the sub frame will give me the easiest possible access to weld the reinforcement in place, right?   In other words-actually do the welding with the Supremes out to make it easy, correct?