• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turbo charger

• 2 weeks later...

On a Garrett, the plate with the info should be in the middle of the bearing housing somewhere.  (where the oil inlet and outlet are).  I'm interested in what you have here.

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo

I did find a T25 turbo that bolted directly to the exhaust manifold.  I had to machine an adaptor for the inlet on the compressor side so the stock 90 deg elbow to the air filter would fit. 

It had an internal waste gate and I had to modify the external actuator to make it fit.  I also had to fabricate a new down pipe as the outlet was completely different. His exhaust system was a total Frankenstein hack job anyway so I fabricated a complete stainless system (offset outlet)   

The car did not have a stock turbo when my customer bought it and we spent the better part of a year looking for one.  I finally decided to get something on it and get it drivable and keep looking.  I built a fresh stock engine and went through the rest of the drivetrain and the Turbo was our only reason it was not running.  I did not run any additional boost (still 0.5bar) but this new turbo spools up so fast we get 5 psi of boost at 2500 rpm.  This thing is a rocket ship!  It still runs out of breath above 6200 rpm but that is just fine, it pulls like a truck at 2000 rpm!  

I will have to go back and find the part number,  I believe it was from an Isuzu Diesel pickup. If I remember correctly it was about $450.   We never found a stock turbo and the car has been sold and I'm not sure where it is any longer.   

IMG_0534.jpg

P4150006.JPG

BMW 0298 Dyno sheets.pdf

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC

• 2 weeks later...

I did not run any additional boost (still 0.5bar) but this new turbo spools up so fast we get 5 psi of boost at 2500 rpm.  This thing is a rocket ship!  It still runs out of breath above 6200 rpm but that is just fine, it pulls like a truck at 2000 rpm!"

I visited this post after "Intercooler." In it I ask in there an M10 turbo crate motor would be a commercial success. Preyupy, based upon your experience with the Garrett mod, do you think that could happen. The S14 is kinda the crown jewel of '02 conversions but they do not drive as well as a turbo motor in my experience. Based upon what you say about this motor you built and my experience with mine I think the achievable mod is the M10, efi, IC, turbo motor. What is your view? 

I think a modern Turbocharger with current EFI technology with an intercooler would be a great way to go.  I was involved with one of the first S14 engine swaps into a 2002 back in about 1990 and as much as I love that engine they have otter so expensive it has taken that out of the reasonable possibilities for me.  

With modern EFI and turbochargers you can easily get a reliable and driveable 300 hp on available pump fuel if you build the engine correctly AND tune it well.  I would sure do this before I went on the M20 transplant or even M42 swap.  

1970 1602 (purchased 12/1974)

1974 2002 Turbo

1988 M5

1986 Euro 325iC