• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiring Help, turn signals.

tomphot

I’m putting the final touches on my ‘72 Tii after paint.  I have a rear LED set that worked fine before paint.  Also installed Euro front signals that I re-wired. 
When I turn the ignition to the on position, the turn signals work just fine.  When I start the car, I get a fast pulsing blink in both directions.  I don’t understand how the car running changes the way they blink.  
BTW, I have Rob’s electrical systems book on order. 

B54199D0-F07E-4CE9-8B9C-D753E06708BC.jpeg

Edited by tomphot

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC

Something I found out when troubleshooting a wonky turn signal/emergency flasher problem.  The emergency flasher switch has two sets of contacts internally, and two hot leads.  One hot lead is hot all the time, and leads to a contact internally that allows the emergency flasher to function with the ignition off.  The other hot lead is hot only when the ignition is on, and the contacts allow the turn signals to function, as the power for the turn signals passes through the emergency flasher switch, and both functions use the same flasher relay.  

So you may have a problem with the emergency flasher switch itself.  Try using the flashers with the ignition off...do they work properly?  Then reinstall the incandescent bulbs in all four turn signal sockets and see if things now properly work.  if so, the problem is the LED bulbs.  You'll either have to use a newer flasher that's set up to use the LEDs, retain the incandescent bulbs or wire in resistors to make up for the lack of load from the LED bulbs.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thanks all,  these are the LEDs I am using, Super bright!!  http://www.classicautoleds.com/BMW-R.html

They worked fine prior to the work.  I will try and change the flasher unit I installed while I’m out on my 02/02/2020 drive today.

i did find that the paint shop installed the front Euro signals wrong, they twisted the wires together and put some tape on them.  On the right side, they had blue wire and grey wire together instead of the 2 grey wires being together.

it’s strange that this only happens while engine is running. 

'72 2002Tii Inka   2760698
'65 Porsche 356SC