• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reviews of Blunttech Bumper Conversion Kit

steve oneill

• 6 months later...

I used it. The rear is nice and simple, no complaints. The front uses undersize box tubing and much smaller than stock bolts for whatever reason, which I'm not crazy about. I would like it better if it was a snug slip fit into the stock box section and used the stock bumper bolts. It's a good setup, a little pricey for what it is IMO (but I don't know what the costs are, so that's purely subjective), but definitely easy.

• Like 3

--

Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you.

I bought and had my mechanic install front and rear. I am no expert but the metal looks to be of good quality. My mechanic, who can do anything, an old line guy with decades of experience, had to do some serious mods to make everything fit/work. 

Perhaps it is my car, the last year, 76, that carries all the changes at the end of the model run.  I can ask him for more details. Perhaps Andrej did not have the same problems.  I do remember my mechanic saying something about the bolts.

email me if you want:     coupecs@aol.com

Steve

• Like 2

PS: Blunttech was easy to work with, replaced some parts that did not work with my set. Sent some drawings.  I chose the license plate lights in the bumper, like the ones on my euro 3.0CSi.  I don't like those protruding lights on either side of the plate. Also went with the short tail bumpers. Like the cleaner look. But that's a matter of taste.

My car is Chaminox and there were so many holes, a bit of rust, and stone chips my body guy, with the bumpers off, painted the whole car from the belt line down. No one can tell the difference between below and above. No one.

I elected to leave my reflectors on.

Hope this helps.

Steve

• Like 1

I will give my two cents. Back work perfect and use the original beefy hardware. The front hardware is too small in my opinion and I have seen my Rectangular brackets that are used on the car itself actually bowing up from the weight of the bumper. I was surprised at the hardware in the front and thought I was actually installing it wrong.  I was not...the

bolts are much smaller. 

Anton, aka bluebeem used to make a bumper conversion kit a few years ago. Not sure if he's still doing it. 

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo (sold)
1973 Mintgrun 2002 "Kermit" (sold)

1973 Inka 2002 "Ernie"

1986 VW Vanagon Syncro Weekender "Otto Van Gonzo"

I just did this conversion too on my 76.  I wanted to keep the Euro bumper look so I went with the long bumper version and the BMW impact strips.  You definitely pay the "BMW tax" getting the OEM strips and hardware. (25 M6 T-bolts at close to $10 each ..etc)

*Front bumper was easy with Bluntech suppled directions.  Supplied bolts are longer than needed and I had to get shorter bolts to fit assembled bumper on over mounting arms. (or you could hack-saw the longer supplied bolts)  Installed without any alignment "fiddling".

front top.JPG

*Rear bumper was more complex and removal of stock bumper and fender trim revealed numerous holes to fill, paint blemishes and unseen rust on trim strips:

IMG_1976.JPG

IMG_1978.JPG

I bought some nylon hole plugs and spray painted them body color (5/16" and 3/16") but they're visible standing close to the car SO probably body work and respray rear fenders in the future.

The rear bumper uses the two short tubes with brackets to mount center section and side wings bolt thru fender.  The side wing bumper tab didn't line up with any holes so I had to drill yet another hole in the fenders to secure sides of bumper.  Also bought some large rubber electrical grommets (5/8" IIRC) at Lowes to span the gap between the bumper wing and fender.  They worked well and compressed when tightening.

IMG_1987.JPG

Level the side "wing" pcs. first, measure 3X then drill the dreaded additional hole in the fender.  Aligning the side bumper pcs. took the most time.  Tighten them down first then tighten up the two main mounting bolts on the rear bumper.   I used butyl strip tape to seal the inside nuts from moisture.

IMG_1999.JPG

There is a SIGNIFICANT weight savings to this modification in addition to cosmetic improvement (minus rear fender holes)

I weighed the front diving board at approx. 35 lbs and the Bluntech bumpers weight about 16 lbs. each so you save about 30 lbs. on the conversion.   Overall purchase cost was over $2,200 but I figured that was the money not spent on cancelled trips to Lime Rock, VIR, Watkins Glen etc...

• Like 10

76 '02 5spd.  stage2  Kerman build

00 Z3M Coupe

10 328iT ZMP 6spd

10 hours ago, elfhearse said:

IMG_1999.JPG

Just out of curiosity, how did you mount the BMW badge on the trunk lid?  I have a rounded one that has posts, but I don't want to drill holes for them. I'm thinking I should grind the posts off, fill the back, and use some type of badge adhesive...  

Just out of curiosity, how did you mount the BMW badge on the trunk lid?

That is the original badge on trunk.  It has posts that go thru the sheet metal and are held in place by rubber grommets that fit over the pins.

I guess you could grind off the post and use 3M Extreme adhesive 2 sided tape ?

Edited by elfhearse

76 '02 5spd.  stage2  Kerman build

00 Z3M Coupe

10 328iT ZMP 6spd

13 hours ago, elfhearse said:

That is the original badge on trunk.  It has posts that go thru the sheet metal and are held in place by rubber grommets that fit over the pins.

I guess you could grind off the post and use 3M Extreme adhesive 2 sided tape ?

Ah, interesting. On my '76 there are no holes so I wonder if they were filled at some point?

Thanks! And great overview of replacing the bumpers too.  I can't wait to do that!

3 hours ago, wheelieking said:

Ah, interesting. On my '76 there are no holes so I wonder if they were filled at some point?

The roundel was on the lid on '74-'76 models, so yours were filled or an early lid was substituted.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

On 8/17/2020 at 4:51 AM, elfhearse said:

IMG_1999.JPG

There is a SIGNIFICANT weight savings to this modification in addition to cosmetic improvement (minus rear fender holes)

I weighed the front diving board at approx. 35 lbs and the Bluntech bumpers weight about 16 lbs. each so you save about 30 lbs. on the conversion.   Overall purchase cost was over $2,200 but I figured that was the money not spent on cancelled trips to Lime Rock, VIR, Watkins Glen etc...

Great Job!

sealing up the holes was a bonus, my body shop didn't and it bothers me 

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook