• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

M10 Head Rebuild

dynosoar1

Hey guys....has anyone had experience using VAC Motorsports or Top End Performance for their head rebuilds?  I'm looking to get mine done.  Any recommendations or suggestions are greatly appreciated.  Looking to set up a 9.5 or 10:1 build with ITBs and looking for top quality headwork.

Nope, but both are highly thought of.

What are you trying to achieve?

For even a potent street car, the 2002 head doesn't need much beyond

the gentle clean- up that any good California speed shop

knows how to do. 

Beyond that,  you'd kinda want someone 

to do the entire motor, as the pistons on an M10

are a critical part of how well the head works.

I'd think.

t

triple hemispherical

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

And of course, if you're gonna do the head, make sure you use the later style valve stem seals (as used on the E30 M10 engines).  They last much longer than the original design, and will keep the notorious "smoke on the overrun" syndrome at bay for many years and miles.

mike 

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

27 minutes ago, TobyB said:

Nope, but both are highly thought of.

What are you trying to achieve?

For even a potent street car, the 2002 head doesn't need much beyond

the gentle clean- up that any good California speed shop

knows how to do. 

Beyond that,  you'd kinda want someone 

to do the entire motor, as the pistons on an M10

are a critical part of how well the head works.

I'd think.

t

triple hemispherical

Yes for sure everything is being designed in conjunction with one another, however, I was just wondering if those specialized shops I mentioned are a critical Pathway to getting everything top notch. But it sounds like any good machine shop should be able to get it right?

I know they are not on your list, but Jim Rowe at Metric Mechanic does a great job with 2002 cylinder heads.

Recommend that you also consider having your head rebuilt by Metric Mechanic.

Frank,  SaharaX2
'75 2002 Sahara (Janice)
'74 2002 Sahara (Camilla) dearly departed
'76 2002 Anthrazit (Gonzo) now daughters car

I was very happy working with Steve @TEP for rebuilding the engine of my 75 2002.  Although I had a lot of the work done locally, Steve spec'ed out every aspect of the work.  All of the parts (headers, valves, pistons, carb came from TEP.  The main work he did for me was lightening of the flywheel.  In my opinion, the best part of working with Steve was that any time I called with questions from the mechanic or machine shop, he was the one who answered the phone and he always had time for me.  It sounds like you plan on working with him in a different way.  My advice would be to call him up and talk about it.  Great advice is always available on this forum, but I loved the fact that I could pick up the phone and talk to him any time.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, jim57759 said:

I was very happy working with Steve @TEP for rebuilding the engine of my 75 2002.  Although I had a lot of the work done locally, Steve spec'ed out every aspect of the work.  All of the parts (headers, valves, pistons, carb came from TEP.  The main work he did for me was lightening of the flywheel.  In my opinion, the best part of working with Steve was that any time I called with questions from the mechanic or machine shop, he was the one who answered the phone and he always had time for me.  It sounds like you plan on working with him in a different way.  My advice would be to call him up and talk about it.  Great advice is always available on this forum, but I loved the fact that I could pick up the phone and talk to him any time.

When I was rebuilding my motor the machine shop was asking me all kinds of questions that I could not answer regarding pistons, valves, you name it. Since I was buying everything from TEP to be drop shipped to the machinist, I asked Steve if he would call the shop. Without hesitation Steve called them and talked through everything with them. Two weeks later I got a call saying the motor was done and ready for pickup. My buddy and I stuck it in and it fired on the first turn of the key and Its been running perfect for 2 years now. Steve was an awesome help.

• Like 1

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

5 minutes ago, ingramlee said:

When I was rebuilding my motor the machine shop was asking me all kinds of questions that I could not answer regarding pistons, valves, you name it. Since I was buying everything from TEP to be drop shipped to the machinist, I asked Steve if he would call the shop. Without hesitation Steve called them and talked through everything with them. Two weeks later I got a call saying the motor was done and ready for pickup. My buddy and I stuck it in and it fired on the first turn of the key and Its been running perfect for 2 years now. Steve was an awesome help.

That's great... .appreciate the input on this so much.  I've spoken with him before regarding FI setup and he was awesome.  Supercool guy and very knowledgeable.   Thanks