• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where/what bulb to buy for replacements

Denisk

Hello,

I’ve been looking to replace the bulbs throughout my 73 02 including headlights, dash, turn signals, tail lights. I was wondering what where you buy yours and which ones do you prefer. Do you get the original bulbs or do people prefer brighter leds. I’m looking for plug and play ones not requiring any additional wiring. 

1- headlights

What bulbs and which you prefer? 

2- turn signals 

3- dash 

4- tail lights 

I know some some people buy them from amazon and eBay so I’m happy to hear those options as well. I’m sure this could be helpful to others as well as Ive seen a lot of older topics but some of those links are outdated and or those bulbs are no longer being carried. 

Thanks all!! 

John's site looks good, do not use higher wattage incandescent bulbs in you tail lights or turn signals as they will melt the lenses, you should also remove the tail light housing and clean it well and re-silver the reflectors, as for the headlights I would recommend bypassing all the sealed beams and go to the h4 halogens (see Daniel Stern lighting for the full run down) Dash lights I prefer the stock bulbs turned down so I can just see the needles, but some people want brighter bulbs and go to led's    

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

35 minutes ago, John_in_VA said:

Thank you! 

11 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

John's site looks good, do not use higher wattage incandescent bulbs in you tail lights or turn signals as they will melt the lenses, you should also remove the tail light housing and clean it well and re-silver the reflectors, as for the headlights I would recommend bypassing all the sealed beams and go to the h4 halogens (see Daniel Stern lighting for the full run down) Dash lights I prefer the stock bulbs turned down so I can just see the needles, but some people want brighter bulbs and go to led's    

Good to know. I actually was planning to take apart and the tail lights, polish them a little and then paint the reflectors. I’ve heard some people actually prefer to paint them white as some say it’s brighter but who knows. I’ll do silver as I see many do it in that color as well. But thanks for the tips! 

You're gonna laugh, but carefully gluing some silver mylar on the inside of the tail light housings really brightens 'em up.  And don't laugh again, but cutting up certain brands of potato chip bags and washing them thoroughly will provide a good source of silver mylar.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, mike said:

You're gonna laugh, but carefully gluing some silver mylar on the inside of the tail light housings really brightens 'em up.  And don't laugh again, but cutting up certain brands of potato chip bags and washing them thoroughly will provide a good source of silver mylar.

mike

Hard not to laugh haha. But hey! If it works, it works!