• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering wheel shake and vibration

Scottjeffrey

Hi All and Thanks in Advance. After 15 months of rehab I have my 74 on the road. New 13 inch tires and steel wheels. Replaced all of font end steering and suspension including steering coupler. New guibo and center support bearing. Rear brakes complete and rear shocks. While I felt it a bit at low speeds, I really felt it once on the highway. It doesn't feel like any tire imbalance I have ever experienced or front end issue, but what do I know. The alignment was done by a trusted shop. The car is tracking very well. You feel nothing in your seat. It's as if, to a novice like me, it is the steering column some where/somehow apart from the steering linkages or suspension. Made me wonder about current safety. I have not touched the steering box. Any help would be appreciated sincerely.

Best Holiday Wishes,

Scott

Rotate the tires front to back and see if that changes anything it could be a broken of shifted belt in one of the tires, then make sure the front wheel bearings are in adjustment. Did your front end rebuild include new ball joints? 

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

2 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Rotate the tires front to back and see if that changes anything it could be a broken of shifted belt in one of the tires, then make sure the front wheel bearings are in adjustment. Did your front end rebuild include new ball joints? 

Hi Marty. The ball joints are new. I will rotate the tires and check the new wheel bearings adjustment. Thank you very much!

+1 on rotate tires and check front wheel bearing play.  If they are new, bearings need to be reset after a short period, in my experience.  

Ed

Edited by zinz
  • Thanks 1

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

4 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Hi Marty, Moved tires as recommended. I would say there was a significant improvement but still not right (I believe). Checked each front side by holding tire at '6 and 12'. No movement ones side, a little bit on the other side. I am thinking to remove cotter pins and adjust all over again but I won't be able to get to it till the weekend. Any thoughts? 

Warm Regards,

Scott