• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Racing front spoiler sources

2002GT3CAR

That is the same spoiler as on our old hot rod. The kit we have was purchased from Tony Bonadies in Armenia NY (not far from Lime Rock Park).

Tony imported a set of box flares and spoiler from Germany in the early 70s and used them to make molds for production of replicas. He marketed his products under his  brand "Turboglas." He once told me that the original and very light weight set from Germany was far too fragile for most uses. When asked if they were Schnitzer products he told me that actually they had BBS labels beneath the matting. They look similar to the flares and spoiler on the Heidegger car that won its class at LeMans in 1975. 

Tony's Schnitzer style fenders were popular with lots of GT3 guys in the late 70s and 80s. I have not seen Tony quite some time ago but someone out there is still producing his box flares.

If Ireland cannot source that spoiler then call Korman who used to catalog them.

Edited by Flunder
  • Like 2

@forrest_kooglewerks kooglewerks.com can fab whatever you want I'm sure. He produces a number of spoiler variations for the 02 and has recently fabricated something very similar for a FAQ member in the Bay Area who owns a touring with similar flares.

Sent from my LGMP260 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

'74 Sahara/Beige 2002 HS car, long, long ago...

'73 Polaris/Navy 2002 tii lost to Canada

'73 Malaga/Saddle 2002 current project

'73 Taiga/Black 2002 tii in my dreams

For an actual race car, fabricating that out of 2 ducts, flat, semirigid plastic, and aluminum angle is

probably your best bet.

Any sort of fully rigid composite is going to be, as Flunder describes, entirely consumable.

t

thttps://www.speedwaymotors.com/Colored-Plastic-Rolls-10-Ft,1557.html

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Go to the Korman Autowerks website and go to 2002 Parts.

Scroll down until you reach Loghtweight Fiberglass Parts.

You will see the listing there for Schnitzer style flares.

The Schnitzer air dam is shown as P/N 4135 3 007 S

the Korman site says they are also made in Kevlar. Korman can be pricey so get a quote before you agree to purchase and see if what you want is actually in stock so you don't waits months after they hit your cc. They are undoubtedly manufactured by a third party.

i did not see the part on the Iteland Engineering website but I recommend you call them for availability before purchasing from Korman.

Edited by Flunder
  • Like 1

On 12/1/2019 at 10:34 AM, Flunder said:

Tony passed quite some time ago but someone out there is still producing his box flares.

I don't know what you mean by a while ago but, I was emailing with him at the end of 2017 and he still was selling stuff.

EDIT - I reached out and I do have a valid email if you want it, just pm me.

Edited by evil02
update
  • Like 1

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

21 hours ago, irdave said:

Toby, what is that stuff?  Is it like the 3m film people put on the front of their cars for rock chips?

It's kind of the opposite of that-

it's a medium density polyethylene that is thermoformable and very durable.

It gets roughed up by rocks, but you can pound the snot out of it and it

deflects and recovers.  Similar to what Ireland forms their splitter out of, but a bit thicker.

t

• Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Ahrend Tuning in Germany has a pretty wide selection of various fiberglass flares and spoilers.  One or two that look similar.   I will say I haven't had very good luck communicating with them and shipping would cost you.  Since every car is a little different, the odds of it fitting they way you want (even if it was the right part) is probably pretty slim.  You have good enough pictures and it isn't a complicated shape - I don't think it would be that hard to make a plug/mold/part if you have the time.

• Like 2

That is the one. I located one from a Germany body kit guy by the name of Thomas Schmidt. 230 euro plus 80 to ship it but he would cut the spoiler in half right in the center (due to the length) otherwise shipping is 200 euro. Not too hard to rejoin it with some minor glassing. 

39F9D237-BCD2-40CF-9933-0C4DB2F6FDC1.jpeg

5F584106-8C55-4D2C-A61A-8E4D27FC5FE2.jpeg

Yep,

Schmidt GFK would have been the one I'd have recommended, if I had seen the thread earlier. That is also where Reiner Ahrend gets some of his stuff from.

Quite one of the good guys. I was searching for some E9 flares a while back and without me asking he pointed out a bad fit of the front left fender. He suspected the car to already have had a bigger accident, that they've once taken the molds from.

Best regards, Lars.

Ei guude wie? (Spoken as "I gooooda weee" and hessian idiom for "Hi, how are you?")

Já nevím, možná zítra.