• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Air/Fuel guage

jerryasi

Read the mfr's requirements for bung placement and where there is room, on the downpipe not the exhaust pipe, it get replaced in time.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I personally don't feel a need on my 74tii for an oil pressure or oil temp gauge but ..... I find an AFR gauge indispensable to set up the FI,  I guess an argument could be made that once you dial it in,  you can forget it but I find knowing what the KF pump is doing is comforting 

I’m running water temperature, oil temperature and oil pressure gauges along with air fuel ratio.

I highly recommend running all four of those gauges, this is the best way to handle your engine management.

This photo was taken on my drive home from SoCal vintage a couple weeks back. Fifth gear, 90+mph going North on Hwy 5.

84D7380C-8C46-45C4-808F-B9E99EB150A3.png

5041050C-2BEA-4FDF-972F-99B0E92BFA1C.png

Edited by Doug Riparetti
  • Like 1

By far my current favorite is the 14point7 Spartan 2, for the quality, price, and better LSU 4.9 sensor:

https://www.14point7.com/products/spartan-lambda-controller-2

I like an oil pressure gauge, but find oil pressure to be rather redundant; really I can tell how warm my oil is based on the pressure at various engine speeds, particularly idle, now that I'm accustomed to it.  That said, I only bothered with the pressure gauge after rebuilding the engine. If I hadn't done that, maybe temperature would've made more sense.

As for A/F ratio, I didn't want to find the space for it (put the pressure gauge in the nook to the left of the cluster), so my solution was to built a little LED bargraph into the gutted fasten seat belt pod.  Fairly simple circuit but slightly tricky to make the DIY board compact enough to fit it all in that space (AFR is on the left and battery voltage is on the right, looks like I need to hook up the charger!):

IMG_20191118_201810.thumb.jpg.508fd451a25e1875563f99f129e28efd.jpg

I sourced mine here from a Forum member, in the Seatbelt Warning as well with a digital number instead of a bar graph

Link:

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/153738-wide-bandcom-apsx-d1-kit-group-buy/?&page=12#comments

IMG_2101.thumb.JPG.7456943f9c87b471f35a3e073178c547.JPG

IMG_2100.thumb.JPG.f965e552bb7f014b9cf13ca78e0bd86a.JPG

Edited by chargin
  • Like 1

I don't take myself or opinions Seriously

My 4th 2002 and the first set of Square Tail-Lights

See the 4 versions of my 2002 project here: SoCal S2002 | Facebook

Gotta say I admire the skill and courage of your projects . . . I just ordered the AEM gauge and sensor. Will likely place in glove box, my dash is at the dash shop having the seatbelt binical removed and dash recovered. Because I won't have a car ready for reassembly until next spring and that I had heavy stick of steel, I'm constructing into an engine test stand, a daily reminder that my "legendary" welding skills from a high school class 50 odd years ago has faded. Gonna add gauges, oil pressure, voltmeter, temp and AFR gauge to the dashboard that I'll build for the engine stand. Then will need to hit my KF manual to figure out how to use the info I get from the AFR, so much to learn and so little time.

last stand 3.jpg

• Like 4