• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Grille Fitment

Trtwll

Hey all

I finally got my 02 back from the body shoo and it’s now time to fit all the trim and grilles correctly. The only problem I’m having is the outer corner of each headlight grille will not sit flush. Ideas ?f9f21f08942631f4d961c8ebc06d4ab8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yo are missing a small aluminum rod that has a hook at one end ( grill end, fits in the hole that you see there ) and threaded at the other end with a nylon nut that is like the rear taillight nylon nuts that hod them in place. There is a hole in the back plate behind the grill on the body that the rod goes thru, I use a body washer on these as well and when tightening the nylon nut, gently push the corner of the grill into the body to help tighten it up. Check Realoem to have a look at the parts needed.

• Like 4

As the others said you are missing the corner securing rod for the grille.  Not sure if they are still available new but if not you could probably make one easily enough.  Good luck!

'03 BMW Z4 3.0i

’89 BMW 325is

'80 Mercedes-Benz 300SD
'20 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT

• 3 years later...
On 10/19/2019 at 10:39 PM, Trtwll said:

Hey all

I finally got my 02 back from the body shoo and it’s now time to fit all the trim and grilles correctly. The only problem I’m having is the outer corner of each headlight grille will not sit flush. Ideas ?f9f21f08942631f4d961c8ebc06d4ab8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi folks - I have a similar situation and am very familiar with all the hardware.  My issue is my NOS grill - yes I have a new old stock drivers side grill! when I go to install it I have a similar but a bit worse gap as in this picture.  I also have a fresh new paint job!!!  So I guess we are saying here that I should get some of that really nice sturdy body shop masking tape in a yellow roll, tape the body up where the grill is being "formed" to, install the four screws and then put the J hooks to work to pull in the sides?  Is that what the little german guys did on the assembly line?  I hate to form/bend those new grills but I do not see any alternative.  They are deep style.  My car is a 70 and never been hit up front...  Need some votes of confidence here.  Anyone done this?

The factory slapped the side grilles on. Center grilles did get little “permanent” spacers, which were lost and forgotten the first time the center grille was removed. When you install and tighten the J hooks, don’t expect your side grills to assume a different shape permanently. The J hooks will pull the outer ends into compliance. But the grilles will largely spring back when once again removed. So when you reinstall them, you’ll get to repeat the bending process all over. 👍

The deep side grills have been remanufactured by BMW, in periodic batches, as recently as ca. 201X. I bought a new set from BMW in 2014. So most of the “New in box” (or “New in bag”) units with BMW labels are not “of the ‘02 era”, which is what NOS implies, not that anyone can point to differences between a 1972 grille and a 2012 grille! If your grille, however, came with an orange parts labels, it probably dates to the 1980’s or earlier. The orange stickers were discontinued in the 1980’s.

There’s not a lot of drama to tightening the outboard ends of the side grilles. Don’t get your hopes up for much excitement! 😋

Regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

18 hours ago, Conserv said:

The factory slapped the side grilles on. Center grilles did get little “permanent” spacers, which were lost and forgotten the first time the center grille was removed. When you install and tighten the J hooks, don’t expect your side grills to assume a different shape permanently. The J hooks will pull the outer ends into compliance. But the grilles will largely spring back when once again removed. So when you reinstall them, you’ll get to repeat the bending process all over. 👍

The deep side grills have been remanufactured by BMW, in periodic batches, as recently as ca. 201X. I bought a new set from BMW in 2014. So most of the “New in box” (or “New in bag”) units with BMW labels are not “of the ‘02 era”, which is what NOS implies, not that anyone can point to differences between a 1972 grille and a 2012 grille! If your grille, however, came with an orange parts labels, it probably dates to the 1980’s or earlier. The orange stickers were discontinued in the 1980’s.

There’s not a lot of drama to tightening the outboard ends of the side grilles. Don’t get your hopes up. 😋

Regards,

Steve

Hi Steve - I knew you would have an answer.  thank you.  I would say then that this grill is the reman you reference.  No orange sticker.  This is a project and a half!  I need to take it really slow and be patient and slowly but surely fit them in.  It is so much forming I almost want to re-use my old grills that fit so fine already!  They are a bit janky though.  

While I have you on the black covers  - any recommendation on the black - if I do not anodize them what do folks use?  I can spray with a catalyst...2 stage paint -  Or you could say nooooo go with anodizing from Chrome King was it?

5 hours ago, Markster said:

Hi Steve - I knew you would have an answer.  thank you.  I would say then that this grill is the reman you reference.  No orange sticker.  This is a project and a half!  I need to take it really slow and be patient and slowly but surely fit them in.  It is so much forming I almost want to re-use my old grills that fit so fine already!  They are a bit janky though.  

While I have you on the black covers  - any recommendation on the black - if I do not anodize them what do folks use?  I can spray with a catalyst...2 stage paint -  Or you could say nooooo go with anodizing from Chrome King was it?

I believe the black anodized slat covers remain available from BMW. If they’re NLA from BMW, check Walloth & Nesch. And if neither has them currently, try a WTB ad on the Parts Wanted classifieds. They’ve been available sufficiently recently that someone must have an un-used set.

Do you (1.) not have any of the slat covers, or (2.) have old slat covers, which are less black than they should be?

In modern times, ‘02 owners have reportedly painted slats with modern paints. I’m un-clear how this holds up: it might be much better than BMW’s futile attempt from 1968 to 1970, with ca. 1968 paints. And others have use satin-finish black tape applied to the grilles’ slats, which reportedly has held up well, and could be easily replaced if it failed. 

Attached below is parts page 51/11 for the grilles. The slat covers are item #20, highlighted in green on the listing — and showing up 3 times (!?) on the listing as their relevance must have been otherwise unclear. Their presence on this RealOEM.com parts page is, unfortunately, not a guarantee of their current availability!

Regards,

Steve

116FE6FB-7BF3-477C-B346-F01C39063D3E.jpeg

BE3C47F4-8EEB-41B2-B879-E3EEB39F17A5.jpeg

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

For the black grill slats you can use Black Electrical tape. It's inexpensive & won't chip like paint & don't need to glue it like the aluminum. 

• Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

21 hours ago, Markster said:

oh no, oh no, oh no no no.  Not in this garage....  I suppose your gonna say just drive it and relax too?  

Nah, I'll say don't over- restore it or you'll never be able to relax while driving it.

I spent far too long and far too much on the first car I did, and I STILL don't really 

enjoy it as much as I've enjoyed the 'drivers' I've had since.

t

• Like 2

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I hope its okay I hijack in this forum rather starting a new topic thread. I have an issue. I am in process of getting a car but I am really set on getting a specific grille on a roundie.   The car im getting is a roundie 1973 2002. One thing it got me off guard is that it has black slates grille. I want to confirm with you guys and make sure that I can still get the grille with 2 chrome slates on each side.  Heres the photo for your reference. Please advise. No description available.