• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Needle in Haystack - 1970 2002 Alpina

grbbenny

On 6/3/2019 at 12:06 PM, mongo3251 said:

...I can confirm that when I stripped the rocker panels to refinish them and check for rust that I found the drivers side rocker was heavily dented. I'm guessing that came from the racing damage.  I also seem to recall the drivers door was not original...

Evidence very possibly!

I’ve heard, however, that many 02’s suffered at the hands of over-enthusiastic, under-experienced, stupidly-reckless owners. And I’ll bet many a panel was bent outside of racing circuits....

Here’s one sad example: a mint Chamonix sunroof 1970, with under 30K miles, that obviously got into the wrong hands...or so I’m told.... ???

They never should have let this clown buy another ‘02....?

Regards,

Steve

3B0D3D4B-6019-4DDB-9DAC-EC29F63D5770.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Haha 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Standard brake booster... interesting.  As is the repurposed wiper wash bottle/puke can for the valve cover breather. AND...uncracked 3-piece dash for the win :)

I'm loving this thread... can't wait to see what turns up next.

Ed

Edited by zinz

'69 Granada... long, long ago  

'71 Manila..such a great car

'67 Granada 2000CS...way cool

Hey folks -

I'm the guy who got the Alpina from Tony's brother - I think this was around 1994.  I had a '74 Bavaria that had under 10k miles on it - kind of a time capsule garage find.  Tony's brother already had his fun with the Alpina and was wanting a larger car, and I had lusted for the Alpina for a while, so we worked out a swap.  Both cars were unusual enough that it seemed like a fair trade at the time.  I owned the Alpina for a couple of years, and got to track it a few times.  It was a hoot to drive, and I never had any issues with it with the exception of disintegrating a guibo on the track at Waterford Hills.  I also remember that there was a 12-page build sheet from Alpina that came with the car, and it had an Alpina-installed rollbar that doesn't show in the photos.  As I remember, it was built as a 1970 2002, but since it went straight to Alpina before being sold, the title showed it as a 1971 Alpina.

I owned an '88 M3 at the time (at least I still have that one!), and needed funds to get the M3 set up for club racing, so I sold the Alpina for what was crazy money back in those days.  It went to a physician on the east coast who bought it (I'm not kidding) because his little daughter liked the color.  I am an idiot.

Whenever my car buddies want to torture me, they'll say "Hey Keith - do you still have that awesome 2002?", just to see me hang my head...

The pictures in the previous post were taken while I owned the car; here are a few more taken that same day.

Keith

AD1.jpg

Alpina 2.jpg

Alpina 4.jpg

Alpina3.jpg

• Like 6

Holy sh*t!

Is anyone else enjoying this thread as much as I am? ???

I’m going to be pretty pissed if the doctor from the East Coast doesn’t chime in by tomorrow morning.... ?

Regards,

Steve

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zinz said:

...uncracked 3-piece dash for the win :)...

Nearly 30 years ago, Ed, cracked dashboards were much less common.... ?

Don’t get your hopes up that the same claim can be made today.... ?

Best regards,

Steve

If not the doctor, it will be the doctor's daughter.

As long as she doesn't say that she liked the color but couldn't drive stick and so had it converted to automatic ...

Fun thread for sure.

• Haha 2

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, sunroof, A/C, 5spd OD, 3.91 LSD, etc. Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   --> If you need an Alpina A4 tuning manual, PM me!

5 hours ago, Conserv said:

Now that’s a configuration I’ve not yet seen....

Regards,

Steve

They sold it because they never managed to get the idle right. ?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

1 hour ago, a2keith said:

I owned an '88 M3 at the time (at least I still have that one!), and needed funds to get the M3 set up for club racing, so I sold the Alpina for what was crazy money back in those days.  It went to a physician on the east coast who bought it (I'm not kidding) because his little daughter liked the color.  I am an idiot.

Whenever my car buddies want to torture me, they'll say "Hey Keith - do you still have that awesome 2002?", just to see me hang my head...

Keith

AD1.jpg

If anyone wants to know in advance about the future market for BMWs just let me know and I will tell you when I sell mine. The market is guaranteed to rocket up within two years. I have successfully 'given away' all manner of BMWs that have soared in value thereafter - this car; a virtually perfect 2002ti; E30 M3 Evo II; E28 M5; E12 M535i - I have done them all. I fricking hate myself.

• Haha 4

22 hours ago, Conserv said:

(I’d love to see the Archives report for VIN 1676010. Does it, similarly, show a large gap between manufacturing date and legal delivery of title to the Canadian importer? Could that explain the odd occurrence of a 1971 emissions sticker on a June 1970 car, as in “it was imported post September 1, 1970, and thus, therefore, got a 1971 sticker”... )

Regards,

Steve

Here you go:

The BMW 2002 US VIN 1676010 was manufactured on June 23rd, 1970 and delivered on July 2nd, 1970 to the BMW dealer Bovensiepen in Kaufbeuren. The original colour was Chamonix, paint code 085.

While Bovensiepen is known as ALPINA it was also a "normal" BMW dealer at the time so we cannot say if the just sold the car or modified it. It might be a good idea to ask the people at classic@alpina.de if they know more.

Nevertheless we hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Andreas Harz

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, grbbenny said:

Here you go:

The BMW 2002 US VIN 1676010 was manufactured on June 23rd, 1970 and delivered on July 2nd, 1970 to the BMW dealer Bovensiepen in Kaufbeuren. The original colour was Chamonix, paint code 085.

While Bovensiepen is known as ALPINA it was also a "normal" BMW dealer at the time so we cannot say if the just sold the car or modified it. It might be a good idea to ask the people at classic@alpina.de if they know more.

Nevertheless we hope this information is helpful for you.

Yours sincerely,

Andreas Harz

Thank you!

Andreas's cautionary point is good and valid, but it’s difficult to believe someone ordering a U.S.-spec car through Alpina didn’t have something else in mind, besides just buying a new ‘02.... ?

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

This thread is insane.  I tracked down the nuclear physicist I bought my car from in '87 a few years back.  I thought THAT was a feat (he is about 80 years old and lives in Hamburg).

This is so awesome!  I can't believe all these people are on FAQ!  

Scott

• Like 1

02ing since '87

'72 tii Euro  //  '21 330i x //  '14 BMW X5  //  '12 VW Jetta GLI

3 hours ago, saaron said:

This thread is insane.  I tracked down the nuclear physicist I bought my car from in '87 a few years back.  I thought THAT was a feat (he is about 80 years old and lives in Hamburg).

This is so awesome!  I can't believe all these people are on FAQ!  

Scott

Still waitin’ on the friggin’ doctor, Scott.....! ??

Best regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Conserv said:

Still waitin’ on the friggin’ doctor, Scott.....! ??

Best regards,

Steve

There is/was a dentist near Charlottesville who had an Alpina tii circa 1981. And a carcass in his yard that I took brake parts off. I wonder if he is a person of interest here. 

I just checked -- he recently retired. I don't know him except for that one meeting.... but I remembered his name, his car, and his house full of clocks!

Cheers,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.