• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Show and Tell . ITB’s please.

Dudeland

While we are talking manifolds,  What are the advantages of "soft mounts"? for DCOE's.  I imagine that it would stop the aeration of fuel under heavy vibration. 

At least with Weber’s, they’re not necessary, and just create a failure point for air-leaks.

Mine are hard mounted with paper composite gaskets and stiff urethane motor mounts. No issues that I’m aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I read the soft mounts like to leak on the Webers.  I have the hard paper gaskets also with no issues.  Thought one was leaking but ended up being the inspection plate gasket and a homemade inspection plate. Correct parts are on their way.

2 hours ago, jp5Touring said:

From what I read the soft mounts like to leak on the Webers.  I have the hard paper gaskets also with no issues.  Thought one was leaking but ended up being the inspection plate gasket and a homemade inspection plate. Correct parts are on their way.

Cool.....  note to self.  Don't use soft mounts. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

I have been running the 40mm Jenvey's on the short IE manifold and a Haltech Elite 750 powering it with LS2 coils for about 2 years and its great.  I daily the car (commute from Marin to SF) and its been super solid.  

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Colin said:

I have been running the 40mm Jenvey's on the short IE manifold and a Haltech Elite 750 powering it with LS2 coils for about 2 years and its great.  I daily the car (commute from Marin to SF) and its been super solid.  

Great job.  I'm happy with mine also.  Just a data point - what crank trigger wheel/sensor set up are you using?  I'm using a 36-1 with a VR sensor.  In the past on the M10 I used a 60-2/VR sensor.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

3 hours ago, jimk said:

Great job.  I'm happy with mine also.  Just a data point - what crank trigger wheel/sensor set up are you using?  I'm using a 36-1 with a VR sensor.  In the past on the M10 I used a 60-2/VR sensor.

I have an old 02again.com wheel (36-1) back from when I was still running megasquirt.  I've toyed with the idea of adding a crank angle sensor but honestly it feels unnecessary.

9 hours ago, jimk said:

I'm using a 36-1 with a VR sensor.  In the past on the M10 I used a 60-2/VR sensor.

Any advantage to a 60/2 setup? I suppose in theory it gives you greater angle resolution, but since all the management systems do interpolation between the tooth pluses anyway I'm curious if it's that much of an advantage, or if there's something 'else' it can do for you.

30 minutes ago, AustrianVespaGuy said:

I'm curious if it's that much of an advantage, or if there's something 'else' it can do for you.

Not much unless the engine is changing rpm ultrafast. The higher tooth count updates the ECU more frequently.  The engine functions (timing and fuel) are rpm dependent.  The ECU is not updated until the next tooth is read.

Just think what you are missing with a 36 tooth wheel. :mellow:

• Thanks 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

10 hours ago, Colin said:

Did you do it yourself?  or did you have help?

What were the hardest things to get right?

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

13 hours ago, Dudeland said:

Did you do it yourself?  or did you have help?

What were the hardest things to get right?

Everything myself.  Its hard to think about because I did the Megasquirt conversion on the car like 10+ years ago but I was running the 318i manifold and EDIS.  When I went to the Jenvey setup that I when I put in the Haltech, which I highly recommend.  The conversion was easy especially since with the Jenveys you get all the linkage and it works great.  The Haltech is also SO MUCH easier to deal with than the Megasquirt and everything works with minimal fuss.  Their wiring loom and fuse/relay box make it a breeze.  The hardest thing for me was something stupid, actually.  I kept having the connectors to the LS2 coils fail because all I could find were the cheap chinese ones.  Finally I got a hold of some AC Delco ones and everything has been rock solid.  These are the connectors between the ECU and the coils.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colin said:

Everything myself.  Its hard to think about because I did the Megasquirt conversion on the car like 10+ years ago but I was running the 318i manifold and EDIS.  When I went to the Jenvey setup that I when I put in the Haltech, which I highly recommend.  The conversion was easy especially since with the Jenveys you get all the linkage and it works great.  The Haltech is also SO MUCH easier to deal with than the Megasquirt and everything works with minimal fuss.  Their wiring loom and fuse/relay box make it a breeze.  The hardest thing for me was something stupid, actually.  I kept having the connectors to the LS2 coils fail because all I could find were the cheap chinese ones.  Finally I got a hold of some AC Delco ones and everything has been rock solid.  These are the connectors between the ECU and the coils.

Is 750 Haltech really enough? or would one with more functionality like the 1000 or 1500 make more sense in hindsight?  I  am just thinking in terms of user definable inputs and outputs. 

Also, are you running an IAC circuit with your setup?

I love the idea of my Sniper and plan on using it to manage my A/C idle, fans and WOT shutoff.  But I would like to Datalog my fuel pressure,  EGT (if I turbo),  oil temp,  oil pressure, maybe with engine protection layered overtop. 

Edit:  I think I need to educate myself more about Canbus.  I see that you and add more I/O's 

Edited by Dudeland
Noob :)

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

3 hours ago, Dudeland said:

Is 750 Haltech really enough? or would one with more functionality like the 1000 or 1500 make more sense in hindsight?  I  am just thinking in terms of user definable inputs and outputs. 

Also, are you running an IAC circuit with your setup?

I love the idea of my Sniper and plan on using it to manage my A/C idle, fans and WOT shutoff.  But I would like to Datalog my fuel pressure,  EGT (if I turbo),  oil temp,  oil pressure, maybe with engine protection layered overtop. 

Edit:  I think I need to educate myself more about Canbus.  I see that you and add more I/O's 

For a 4 cylinder the 750 is all you need.  It has onboard logging, self-learning that works awesome, and plenty of I/O.  I'm using haltech's wideband that connects via can and its a million time better than the Innovate crap that I used for years.  For sure you could get a 1500 and that has more stuff for like launch control or whatever but our cars won't ever use that.

I used to run a stepper motor IAC with my megasquirt and it was ok.  With the ITBs and where I live (Marin County) things warm up enough that I never really need it so I've just left it off.

2 minutes ago, Colin said:

For a 4 cylinder the 750 is all you need.  It has onboard logging, self-learning that works awesome, and plenty of I/O.  I'm using haltech's wideband that connects via can and its a million time better than the Innovate crap that I used for years.  For sure you could get a 1500 and that has more stuff for like launch control or whatever but our cars won't ever use that.

I used to run a stepper motor IAC with my megasquirt and it was ok.  With the ITBs and where I live (Marin County) things warm up enough that I never really need it so I've just left it off.

So the start is ok, and returning to idle is ok without the IAC?

I would think that it would get kinda wonky without one, although I had cut the IAC out of the equation to help tune mine. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Just now, Dudeland said:

So the start is ok, and returning to idle is ok without the IAC?

I would think that it would get kinda wonky without one, although I had cut the IAC out of the equation to help tune mine. 

Yeah, its fine.  Warms up quick (on cold days I do have to kinda do a heel/toe move to keep the throttle open, but just for a bit) and it returns to idle perfectly once its warm.

• Thanks 1