• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Simple Seat Belt Buckle Retainer

MattL

Just thought I'd share this easy solution to an annoying problem. My seat belt buckle always slides down to the floor when unfastened and removed. A tired retractor, I guess. In any case, I had a few rare earth magnets, and slapped one up there below the shoulder loop. It stays firmly in place and grabs and holds the buckle there with just a touch. I expect I'm far from the first to do this, but I didn't see a similar post up already.

-ugNPgmPRbSSfvEm4WodkmwN8lKG4Dpy4_1dqRqQ

• Like 4

MattL

1976 BMW 2002 Pastellblau

Philadelphia 'Burbs

From the factory, the retracting front seat belts — yes, I use the term “retracting” generously — came with a two-part plastic clip, designed to hold the male buckle up high, where you could grab it easily. The clip consists of Items 2 and 3 in the following parts schematic. I believe they remain available.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2583-USA-10-1972-114-BMW-2002tii&diagId=72_0307

I’m guessing that many of these have been lost over the last 40+ years. They generally work quite well, but....if the same clip falls off more than a couple times, it’s probably time to discard it and get a new clip.

I can’t find a good photo of the clip, but it’s just peeking out under my ‘76’s buckle in the photo below.

Regards,

Steve

80F8AFD0-044E-4BFD-B93A-E4F6C5DBEDFA.jpeg

Edited by Conserv
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Thanks, Steve. I’ll have to order a couple, as mine are certainly missing. Even if they weren’t, though, the lack of tension that remains in my reels means that my buckles would generally still fall to / remain near the floor. 

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs

14 hours ago, Conserv said:

From the factory, the retracting front seat belts — yes, I use the term “retracting” generously — came with a two-part plastic clip, designed to hold the male buckle up high, where you could grab it easily. The clip consists of Items 2 and 3 in the following parts schematic. I believe they remain available.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showparts?id=2583-USA-10-1972-114-BMW-2002tii&diagId=72_0307

I’m guessing that many of these have been lost over the last 40+ years. They generally work quite well, but....if the same clip falls off more than a couple times, it’s probably time to discard it and get a new clip.

Clamping - part # 72-11-1-862-636, is a single piece now, but still does the job.  Just ordered a pair for the new-to-me F22.

05b00af497e6er500.jpg&d=934401dca0fe1c4e

Edited by John_in_VA
image didn't work
  • Like 1

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Hi all,

Long time reader (lurker) new poster. I’ve had my 72 2002 since 2012.

Just a thought on this topic. Maybe it’s time to replace seatbelts when retractors wear out or webbing becomes frayed or otherwise compromised.

Along with good, working brakes and a securely attached steering wheel, seatbelts are kind of an important safety feature. This isn’t an area where I personally would save money or create makeshift solutions.

But then again we are all adults who can make our own choices.

Cheers,

Greg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, GregC said:

Hi all,

Just a thought on this topic. Maybe it’s time to replace seatbelts when retractors wear out or webbing becomes frayed or otherwise compromised.

Along with good, working brakes and a securely attached steering wheel, seatbelts are kind of an important safety feature. This isn’t an area where I personally would save money or create makeshift solutions.

Cheers,

Greg

The thread is about parking the seatbelt buckle in a convenient spot not compromising with dangerous and damaged seatbelts. 

• Like 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

5 hours ago, GregC said:

Hi all,

Cheers,

Greg

+1

The retractors (Autoflug, 1972-73, and Repa, 1973-76) have been weak-ish from the beginning, but — at least for years — they generally still had sufficient tension to (a.) hold the harness taut across your body, and (b.) lock upon hard braking (and, obviously, crashing). If your seat belts cannot accomplish both of these functions, they’re probably not worth a cent as seat belts. Time to contact bluedevils....

Regards,

Steve

Edited by Conserv

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Definitely a good point, Greg. Thank you. I should have clarified that when buckled the general tension and lock are fine, just as Steve describes above. It's just that the reel doesn't have enough tension to pull the belt and buckle up to the loop when exiting the car. The magnet is mainly just to save me the 15 seconds of rooting around for the buckle every time I get in the car. 

• Like 2

MattL

Philadelphia 'Burbs

Try to put a few drops of sewing machine oil on each side of the spool that holds the webbing inside the retractor, may work the retractor better. Clean the webbing with mild soap/water mix. I like the magnet solution as the factory clips will get loose over time. You can get aftermarket buckle stoppers at Auto Zone/Advance Auto/O' Religh places, they will definitely stop the buckle from dropping down.

Edited by bluedevils
typo
  • Thanks 1

On 5/12/2019 at 8:30 AM, Conserv said:

Thanks Steve!  I'll certainly add those clamps to my next order from whoever carries them. 

An issue I seem to run into more often is there's such little clearance between the door and the seat back release knob, I can't get the belt past the knob without opening the door.  One day I'll get in the habit of buckling up before I close my door.  Maybe the problem will go away when my Recaros finally arrive? ? 

Tim Dennison

'72 BMW 2002 tii - Malaga,  '02 BMW Z3 Coupe Sterling Gray,  '09 BMW 650i - Carbon Black,  '15 BMW 228i Estoril Blue,  '19 BMW Z4 30 - San Francisco Red

23 hours ago, NYTransplant said:

Maybe the problem will go away when my Recaros finally arrive? ? 

Also yes. Just don't leave your belt wrapped around your bolster too much or you'll have a nice farmer's belt fade stripe there

• Like 1

31436374517_8d8d287049_o.jpg.2d76303dce729a94519ce58b66156f83.jpg