• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Where to distributor parts?

Bibm5

The o2 has started misfiring at idle and stumbling an acceleration so decided its time to upgrade to a pertronix ignitor. I opened up the distributor and noticed this wire has torn.

Im also pretty sure that my vacuum advance diaphragm is shot and would like to replace it also. It seems like the shaft has a little side to side play but not a ton. Either way I would like to replace all the faulty components give it a refresh.

I have searched all over and can find any info on where to source the parts from.

I thought about about getting the mechanical advance dizzy from IE but from everything I read i would be better off rebuilding mine and adding pertronix. Any leads would help.

Thanks! a5253775d34d48aec97cec66f7b7a3c7.jpg3e8cea977679de79e93aad8b7635f9f4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Jeff Schlemmer at Advanced Distributors would be my recommendation. He's well regarded here as well as the MG community.

http://advanceddistributors.com/wordpress1/

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I considered sending it out to them but trying to avoid spending a ton of money and the long wait to get it back. Do you know what the going rate is to have him rebuild one is?

This is a vacuum retarded dizzy. I tgink I have one.

How are the internals in yours?
I really don't know anything about distributors as far as what to use. Does the vac retard limit performance? Just want to make sure to get what I need.
I have a 38/38 installed carb now and a 292 cam & Stahl header to be installed.

I also have another dizzy from my parts car but I don't know the condition of that one and it has the Allison / crane xr700 installed. I considered trying that out just because I already own it but from what I read the pertronix is the better choice. So I really don't feel like trying to get that operational only to be disappointed. 46e7438fb0a0ba2ea63557766fbf0133.jpg

I had my distributor rebuilt by Advanced. Excellent job and about $200. What he did not have was a replacement vacuum pod. Just keep that in mind. The ground strap that is broken is staked to the points plate. To replace it the easiest way is to replace the entire points plate.

Good Luck,

Mike (#87)

I don't think you will need that ground strap, if running a Pertronix.

The #084 is a better bet, IMO.

Skip the retard nipple and use the advance side.

There are many archived threads here about sourcing parts and a few about rebuilding as well.

The #008 is the early style, which I find less approachable than the later style, such as the #084.

Get a variable advance timing light, so you know what you have/end up with.

20 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I don't think you will need that ground strap, if running a Pertronix.

Base of the Pertronix may be grounded to the breaker plate, in such case the ground strap from the breaker plate to housing is needed.

• Thanks 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

2 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I figured having two wires feeding the ignitor, one of them would be the ground side.

No?

Nope, the red one powers the unit and the black one is the switched ground via the body of the distributor (it actually grounds the coil when the unit is closed circuit). It will ground itself the same way. 

• Thanks 1

rtheriaque wrote:

Carbs: They're necessary and barely controlled fuel leaks that sometimes match the air passing through them.

My build blog:http://www.bmw2002faq.com/blog/163-simeons-blog/

I pulled the Allison guts out of the 084 and it looks pretty grimey but the ground strap is still attached and the points plate seems to move a lot better than it does on the 008 so that's something at least. The lobes on the shaft of the 084 seem a lot more pronounced and the shaft seems to have less side to side play. With all this in mind I think i am going to take mints suggestion and persue the 084 with vac advance rather than the 008 with vac retard.
Hopefully the vacuum pod is still good though... Time to start reading about rehabbing dizzies now.
I wish i had 123 money...
dc8586442cfefa9c1455c14329831f7d.jpgc124324028b35e47a7f25cc0db07699d.jpg

1 hour ago, Bibm5 said:

Time to start reading about rehabbing dizzies now.
I wish i had 123 money...

When you finish rebuilding or have it overhauled by vendor you will find out it is as good as 123 thingy or better.

76 2002 Sienabraun

2015 BMW F10

Just opened up both distributors. The 008 is not in such great shape and the springs on the weights were not even on... I thought I heard a wierd noise coming from somewhere.5c9295996240a3da137ca8fb3838f46e.jpg&key=852a97f8bb7e9648b2085476d7ddbfdf59534bed7a1b55ca8d441632860ddde7

The 084 cleaned up pretty nicely. No I did not dismantle the entire thing but I did clean it out pretty well, and it's functions smoothly.

Gonna order the pertronix for that one and cross my fingers.

I'm assuming I just hook vacuum to one port and leave the other open? 0352c93c1e622c9c36c313da4f73f315.jpg&key=2fe6de4028c83435645e996895ababa93dcc3e35b9079126fa6e169375fea8c95ae8634c718159fadd480882566e245e.jpg&key=4a36a048a7d7c5c237c85348997bfbca4faebe9d60cd52b9c702ce0a1e849ebd