• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

URO Door seals

Driv3r

• 2 weeks later...

I tried to contact URO through their website of my offer of (orange stickered) NOS 1972 door weather strips last year 2022 but they never contacted me back. then installed another pair in my car those naturally worked. So URO engineering team, if you`re interested in using the original durometers that BMW intended I have them available for proper reference.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Mikesmalaga72 said:

I tried to contact URO through their website of my offer of (orange stickered) NOS 1972 door weather strips last year 2022 but they never contacted me back. then installed another pair in my car those naturally worked. So URO engineering team, if you`re interested in using the original durometers that BMW intended I have them available for proper reference.

That would be the key to make replacements that actually work. All currently available is more or less trash and completely different than original materials.

• Like 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

On 10/29/2023 at 3:59 AM, its55 said:

Any update on status of both LH and RH door seals?

Hi Its95, we do have RH seal 51 71 1 808 686 in stock, but we're still looking for a new production facility that can redevelop it to correct the issues mentioned earlier in this thread.  Realistically that will probably take 12 - 18 months, so we won't have an updated/improved version anytime soon.

LF seal 51 71 1 808 685 is also in stock, and most folks have had good luck with it.  Production run codes (on the bottom right corner of the URO label) 9156 and higher would be the latest version.  (Code 9039 is probably also the latest version, but it hasn't been 100% confirmed.)  Seals purchased from Rock Auto should be the most recent stock (barring seals that are returned to them and resold), as our SoCal warehouse routinely drop-ships for RA.

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Mikesmalaga72 said:

Thanks for the offer Mike, sorry about your message slipping through the cracks last year!  Checking with our engineering team now, we'll PM you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, URO Parts Support said:

Hi Its95, we do have RH seal 51 71 1 808 686 in stock, but we're still looking for a new production facility that can redevelop it to correct the issues mentioned earlier in this thread.  Realistically that will probably take 12 - 18 months, so we won't have an updated/improved version anytime soon.

LF seal 51 71 1 808 685 is also in stock, and most folks have had good luck with it.  Production run codes (on the bottom right corner of the URO label) 9156 and higher would be the latest version.  (Code 9039 is probably also the latest version, but it hasn't been 100% confirmed.)  Seals purchased from Rock Auto should be the most recent stock (barring seals that are returned to them and resold), as our SoCal warehouse routinely drop-ships for RA.

thank you, I’m just going to keep waiting till I can absolutely buy the right ones the first time. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, URO Parts Support said:

Thanks for the update. For some reason all the usual suspects (Pelican, ECS, AutohausAZ, etc) show the driver door as out of stock. I’ve been waiting on it for months, actually. Just put in an order on Rock Auto and it’s already in the mail. 

22 hours ago, its55 said:

thank you, I’m just going to keep waiting till I can absolutely buy the right ones the first time. 

Hi Its55, thank you but given the low sales volume of this niche item, it's possible the redesign on the RH seal won't happen, so please don't wait on us.  It could be a long time, and possibly never.

3 hours ago, URO Parts Support said:

Hi Its55, thank you but given the low sales volume of this niche item, it's possible the redesign on the RH seal won't happen, so please don't wait on us.  It could be a long time, and possibly never.

I understand, but I see no reason to buy something that won’t fit. I’ll just keep living with my tattered one as long as possible. 

• Like 1

Good to hear, I think they make some of the best repro parts for our cars.  Tried to install the URO version once myself and once by a professional using 2 different types of 3M gasket adhesive, but it eventually started falling off anyways.  

28 minutes ago, Lucky 7 said:

Seems like the incessant bitching is a great way to convince URO to stop supporting the 2002 community. I installed my windshield today with the URO seal and it went in perfect. Saved me $200 and I’m thankful they’re making parts for us.  Door seals are up soon. 

Hi Lucky, I started this thread a long time ago. I hate to think people are being rude or insulting regarding URO. I installed their then, latest iteration of door seals two years ago. They fit very well. And along the way I had the pleasure of corresponding with them. They went above and beyond for me. Be nice...

• Like 2

URO's not going anywhere as long as they're profiting from the sales to 2002 owners.  Also, URO openly admits to the problems with their door seals (see earlier posts).  Customer complaints about parts quality serves to cause improvements by good businesses.  Don't know of anyone who doesn't appreciate the parts of good quality URO providea.

Edited by its55
typo
  • Like 2